gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
2976 Posts in 217 Topics by 29 Members - Latest Member: Frosty[SA] March 28, 2024, 06:30:46 am
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Calendar | Login | Register | Site | gfx
gfx
Server Admins  |  General Category  |  Flames  |  I hate computers! I hate Steam! I hate it all! Bargh!!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: I hate computers! I hate Steam! I hate it all! Bargh!!!  (Read 4178 times)

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 33.0 Firefox 33.0
I hate computers! I hate Steam! I hate it all! Bargh!!!
« on: November 06, 2014, 04:14:10 pm »
I feel like crying. I have not been able to play ANYTHING on STEAM for MONTHS now ...

I jut get this:

When I hit update all it does is hang .. I even tried steam://flushconfig in the run command... Sure it update but then that same window. And I can't contact Steam as it seems my logins are not working ..

Help??

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 32.0 Firefox 32.0
    • The Server Admins
Re: I hate computers! I hate Steam! I hate it all! Bargh!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 07:40:08 pm »
This is just a shot in the dark but have you considered creating a new windows user account?

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 07:24:29 pm »
This is just a shot in the dark but have you considered creating a new windows user account?

I got your message about that on my answering machine (was happy to hear your voice btw) and I will try that after. I am just getting ready to go with my mom for the First Friday thing I do every month with her.

What is your reason for wanting me to do this? Is it to help verify that the issue is with Windows files and registry related to not doing a clean Windows install? Or what other reason? I am curious as I have only been speculating but am not actually sure.

Other stuff not directly related to Steam:

I also did a few things in the meantime along with some research:

• Ran Checkdisk
  • Ran Memtest86
  • Ran System File Checker

Quote from: Scan results
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>

I am wondering if my Steam issues are also related to the other issues I have had ever since Dave switched me over from the AMD CPU to the Intel CPU without a clean install of Windows.  Time outs ... freezes .. hangs ..

He has offered to give me back my old CPU or redo Windows 7 64bit.

So which should I do?

Is it better to ...

What should I back up? I don't want to lose all my stuff... lol you already know my past experience with that one Sand... I hate to go through that again..

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 11.0 MS Internet Explorer 11.0
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 08:51:05 pm »
My reason for attempting this is to rule out any possible viral infections, firewall blockages, mass registry errors or any other kind of miss-configurations in the system that would apply to a specific windows user account.  I know that you do your best to keep your system secured.  But sometimes to much security can hamper computer performance and ability to perform regular tasks.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 03:25:04 pm »
My reason for attempting this is to rule out any possible viral infections, firewall blockages, mass registry errors or any other kind of miss-configurations in the system that would apply to a specific windows user account.  I know that you do your best to keep your system secured.  But sometimes to much security can hamper computer performance and ability to perform regular tasks.

I agree. I was just curious. I am up for any diagnostics and anything that will help us figure out the cause or what is not wrong will help us figure out the right remedy.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 11.0 MS Internet Explorer 11.0
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 07:41:34 pm »
Anyway, looking back on your last post.... It is inevitable that you will eventually have to wipe your master hdd clean and do a fresh install of windows.  Dave should have don't that from the start.  So if you can, start backing up everything that you need and/or want to keep real soon.

Now about the mobo and proc....   The Intel setup should be slightly faster then your old AMD setup, so I say stick with the Intel setup if it's not broken.  It's not a lot faster, but with a far better graphics card, it should hold you over for a couple more years.  As a matter of fact, why don't you check out NewEgg Canada and see if you can find a gaming class GPU at a reasonable price.  I might be able to help you out a bit.

I know what your next question is going to be.  "So what should I look for?"
I recommend checking out AMD HD 6800, 6900, 7800 or 7900 series GPU's as they maybe aging but are still supported by AMD and should have come way down in price by now.  Also, keep in mind that the 3rd number in the series number will make a big difference in it's overall performance.  Here are some examples.  A 6850 is more of a budget mainstream card.  Where a 6870 is a budget gaming class card.  And a 6890 is a hard core gaming class card.  Get the picture?  Also, look for cards that are 256 bit DDR5 ram as they should give you much better performance then 128 bit.  Now, even though 384 bit is even higher performance, it maybe overkill for your older PCIe 2.0 compliant slot.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 07:54:46 pm by Sandman[SA] »

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 05:03:12 am »
He gave me a free ATI Radeon HD 5870  .. is that okay? It runs sooo much cooler than the 4850 I have had all these years. :)

Well you know Dave loves this particular site which is swears by as his sole source of if something is better than what I currently have or not:

http://bit.ly/1xKofVL

I know anything newer than what I have is better so I don't need to look at comparison sites but ..
http://www.hwcompare.com/1003/radeon-hd-4850-1gb-vs-radeon-hd-5870/

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 03:43:36 pm »
I wouldn't rely on those comparisons because your 4850 was the high end version of it .  Yes, it was the code name rv770 pro.   But the 5870 shown in the comparison was for the code name cypress xt version, which the one you got for free from Dave is not.   Now, just because it's not the XT version does not mean you got a crappy card.  The 5870 you got in the trade, is much better then what you had before and, it still has driver support from AMD.  So you did well.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 10:18:41 am »
I wouldn't rely on those comparisons because your 4850 was the high end version of it .  Yes, it was the code name rv770 pro.   But the 5870 shown in the comparison was for the code name cypress xt version, which the one you got for free from Dave is not.   Now, just because it's not the XT version does not mean you got a crappy card.  The 5870 you got in the trade, is much better then what you had before and, it still has driver support from AMD.  So you did well.

Thanks. :) You know I will always come to you for advice on stuff like this. :)  :tup:

Server Admins  |  General Category  |  Flames  |  I hate computers! I hate Steam! I hate it all! Bargh!!!

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.6 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Copyright © 2000-2024 Server Admins All Rights Reserved.
Page created in 6.045 seconds with 19 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx