gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
2976 Posts in 217 Topics by 29 Members - Latest Member: Frosty[SA] March 28, 2024, 04:03:29 pm
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Calendar | Login | Register | Site | gfx
gfx
Server Admins  |  General Category  |  Geek / Games Discussion  |  Katie's Latest CPU (Quad Q9550) & Vid Card (ATI Radeon HD 5870)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Katie's Latest CPU (Quad Q9550) & Vid Card (ATI Radeon HD 5870)  (Read 16162 times)

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 11.0 MS Internet Explorer 11.0
    • The Server Admins
Re: Katie's Latest CPU (Quad Q9550) & Vid Card (ATI Radeon HD 5870)
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2016, 01:43:50 am »
do you mean 8 gigs more ram? and it's that much cheaper till you factor in the exchange rate.

I thought it said 4gb ram.  My bad.  Angie had told me that the Canadian dollar was down but I didn't think it was that bad.  Damn!!

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 44.0 Firefox 44.0
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2016, 03:07:35 am »
I found a cable with a "90" connector on it. if it's just the cable, it's a fairly quick fix.

Yes tests suggest this is recommended Dave: (Attached larger version below this picture for download)

BOTH HDD are saying Cable problem....

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2016, 03:23:33 am »
do you mean 8 gigs more ram? and it's that much cheaper till you factor in the exchange rate.
http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exchange/daily-converter/
cheapest way would just be replace her mb with a skt 775 that can take her cpu. ( I'll see what I can find).

Ya that comes with  8Gb of ram while the other one has 16GB of ram that comes WITH it which would be 12Gb more than what I currently have which is 4Gb.

The AMD A10-7870K APU comes with 16Gb of DDR3 ram that already works with it. USD $247.99 = $335.95 CDN  (CPU Mark 5581 = Higher than current system)

AMD FX-6300 is a faster CPU would cost me $160.98 + 58.98 + 118.98 for the motherboard = $338.94 CDN AND that 8Gb ram is OUT OF STOCK. (CPU Mark 6344 = Higher than current system)

My current computer, the Q9550 is stuck using the 4Gb of ram, has 2 damaged Capacitors and turns out my 320Gb HDD I am now using for C since we decided that was best has a bad sector on it (despite Dave's testing to see if it did) and I am out $80 for the 8Gb of DDR2 ram I bought... and spent $113 on this case as Dave thought it was simply a cooling issue.  (CPU Mark 4048)

I am poor and this is bumming me out... No matter which route I go I am afraid I cannot do it without some kind of help :(

I know Dave you are are trying hard knowing my financial situation and I took a look at the:

Asus P5K-VM REV:1.03G Socket 775 Motherboard 1333mhz FSB = US $44.99 = Approximately C $60.95 (CPU Mark ????)

and the

ASUSTeK P5QL/EPU, LGA 775/Socket T, Intel Motherboard = bidding so the price WILL go up + $14.00 shipping from Alberta to Ontario (CPU Mark 1561 = LOWER than current system)

• Are those both able to take that 8Gb of DDR2 ram I had bought in case I cannot return it since it is NOT faulty?
  • Are those both the same speed as what I currently have or faster?

I need more details as I am not a hardware pro. YOU guys are.

With you posting I understand where Dave is coming from and I hope he sticks with explaining on here rather than email and phone as on here I can understand better. BUT at the same time I am hoping he can understand where I stand on this that it is not actually cheaper as I would have the A10-7870K shipped to Jeff in the USA and he would ship it to me to save me some money. At least that WAS the plan. However, the more we wait .. and it is almost the end of the month .. can either of you help me in any way eventually? I am not sure what to do anymore... Perhaps the motherboard is fine and I just need a new HDD? We need more concrete answers here instead of me just buying this and buying that and HOPING all the problems will be solved...

Also Dave you are only comparing to what was found for me in the USA but not comparing to what I currently have. I want equal if not better to what I currently have .. but does not have to be a killer machine. I just want stability that won't break my bank but I also don't want a worse computer!

Offline One Eyed Wonderweasle

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2016, 02:43:35 pm »
as for the socket 775 motherboards, they would not increase your performance much but either one should be a better replacement for your current damaged board (using your current cpu), and alot cheaper than an all new platform. I couldn't take over heating out of the equation until it wasn't an issue. Plus your old case would have had more trouble cooling newer hardware than your current so the case was a good buy regardless considering how hot your room tends to get.
 here's some more ram links (also you might want to take a look at the ratings of the parts I've suggested.)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226545
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104472

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2016, 06:20:28 pm »

I need more details as I am not a hardware pro. YOU guys are.

With you posting I understand where Dave is coming from and I hope he sticks with explaining on here rather than email and phone as on here I can understand better. BUT at the same time I am hoping he can understand where I stand on this that it is not actually cheaper as I would have the A10-7870K shipped to Jeff in the USA and he would ship it to me to save me some money. At least that WAS the plan. However, the more we wait .. and it is almost the end of the month .. can either of you help me in any way eventually? I am not sure what to do anymore... Perhaps the motherboard is fine and I just need a new HDD? We need more concrete answers here instead of me just buying this and buying that and HOPING all the problems will be solved...

My recommendation is to go with the cheapest options first.  Replacing worn out data cables is really a must when something like this happens.  Even though they are reusable for the most part, they really shouldn't be reused.  The reason being is that dust, dirt, moisture and temperature changes can wreak havoc to exposed electrical connectors.  Plus, the pushing, pulling and twisting of the delicate wires around doesn't help either.    Also, disconnecting suspect drives can help eliminate data corruption issues.

Now as for helping you out with a substantial donation, it's a little out of my reach right now.  I'm at a bit of a financial burden myself.  But give me a few weeks and I might be able to manage something for ya. 

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
« Reply #65 on: February 29, 2016, 05:27:42 am »
My recommendation is to go with the cheapest options first.  Replacing worn out data cables is really a must when something like this happens.  Even though they are reusable for the most part, they really shouldn't be reused.  The reason being is that dust, dirt, moisture and temperature changes can wreak havoc to exposed electrical connectors.  Plus, the pushing, pulling and twisting of the delicate wires around doesn't help either.    Also, disconnecting suspect drives can help eliminate data corruption issues.

Now as for helping you out with a substantial donation, it's a little out of my reach right now.  I'm at a bit of a financial burden myself.  But give me a few weeks and I might be able to manage something for ya.

Okay I think I can wait a few weeks and do some small things for now such as have Dave replace the HDD Cable in question as the HDD affected is my Boot Drive so disconnecting it isn't really much of an option right now. Not unless I run off a Boot CD and see if I run into any problems and not be able to play any games..

At this moment it seems I need:

• A new Cable
  • A new Motherboard
  • A new HDD
  • To return the 8Gb of Memory unless it does work after replacing the Motherboard?

Quote from: Shrodinger
Well the motherboard has 2 Capacitors that are a little .. um.. puffed out? expanded? But I don't see leakage.

This is NOT okay! This kills the computer.

If that motherboard was mine I would do one of two things with it.

1, immediately stop using it and take Bryan's suggestion of KILLING IT WITH FIRE!

OR

2, go balls the wall hardcore on it and remove ALL of the voltage regulating caps and replace them. This requires intermediate level soldering and electronic skills.

Bottom line, if a replacement mobo doesn't fix it i'm kinf of out of ideas. And again DAMAGED CAPACITORS ARE UNSTABLE! Every second they are powered further risks your machine and they are a (albeit minor) fire hazard.

Dave doesn't know how to do option #2 and neither do I so that isn't happening .. so it has to be a new motherboard or another one anyway.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
« Reply #66 on: February 29, 2016, 05:44:35 am »
as for the socket 775 motherboards, they would not increase your performance much but either one should be a better replacement for your current damaged board (using your current cpu), and alot cheaper than an all new platform. I couldn't take over heating out of the equation until it wasn't an issue. Plus your old case would have had more trouble cooling newer hardware than your current so the case was a good buy regardless considering how hot your room tends to get.
 here's some more ram links (also you might want to take a look at the ratings of the parts I've suggested.)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226545
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104472

Okay so taking my previous post and editing it for these RAM options:

Option A: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226545 ($95.98 for 16Gb) = $ 375.94 *

Option B: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104472 ($60.98 for 8Gb) = $340.94 *

The AMD A10-7870K APU comes with 16Gb of DDR3 ram that already works with it. USD $247.99 = $335.95 CDN

AMD FX-6300 is a faster CPU would cost me $160.98 + 118.98 for the motherboard + Memory * = $?? CDN

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2016, 01:02:17 am »
I can do soldering and have some experience with replacing electronic components.  Unfortunately, I live 600 miles away so I wouldn't be a lot of help.  :'(

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2016, 02:35:23 am »
OKay to return the 8Gb of DDR2 ram I had bought I would have to print the shipping label (I don't ink right now so perhaps I can use Beth's printer for this or just go and buy ink again finally) and print it by WEDNESDAY. Dave I need my RAM back from you please.

What can I return?

You may return most new, unopened items sold and fulfilled by Amazon within 30 days of delivery for a full refund. During the holidays, items shipped by Amazon between November 1st and December 31st can be returned until January 31st.

Learn more about Return Policy

When will I get my refund?
Usually in about 2-3 weeks. Most refunds are fully refunded in 3-5 days after we receive and process your return.
Learn more about Return Estimates

Quote from: Shipping email notification
Your guaranteed delivery date is:

Wednesday, February 3

Your package is being shipped by Canada Post and the tracking number is 7316971164591451.

Paid by Mastercard:    CDN$ 80.00

Should I contact Komputerbay to make sure I CAN return it or since it was through Amazon.ca would it be through Amazon itself?

Okay since I don't have ink it says I can send the label to a friend to be printed. Nice .. Dave can u get this printed for me AS SOON AS POSSIBLE?

I sent u the email

Quote from: Instructions from Canada Post

How to return your item
Canada Post

•     Print the label.
  •     Cut out the Merchandise Return Label.
  •     Write your return address in the space provided in the upper-left corner of the label, after the word "FROM."
  •     Securely pack the items to be returned in a box and include the separate barcode in the package.
  •     Affix the label squarely onto the address side of the parcel, covering up any previous delivery address and barcode without overlapping any adjacent side.
  •     Take the package to your nearest post office for delivery. No postage is necessary if the package is mailed from within Canada.

This way I will no longer feel like I have been wasting my money left right and centre and I will be more open to a motherboard that can take DDR3 instead.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2016, 03:21:38 am »
Interesting what I just read on a review on the APU I had wanted though even though Schro says he feels it would limit my being able to upgrade much in the future..

This is a comment on an tech article (article date: Monday, June 8, 2015 3:58 pm ) by some person I do not know but specifically mentions:

Quote from: AS118
Good article, and a nice primer for people new to the subject. I personally went for a CPU + dedicated GPU option myself in my rig. (FX-8350 with R9 270x) I'm more of a hardcore gamer though, and people who don't care as much about gaming, may be off getting an APU however.

Something like the A10-7800 on up is decent for gaming, especially when paired with fast (1833mhz+) DDR3 ram.

Also I can't find negative feedback like you were telling me on the phone that there was on this Dave. Can you please post the links here so I can see them? Thanks.

Looking at the individual sites for the 3 parts of that bundle:

AMD A10-7870K Godavari Quad-Core 3.9 GHz Socket FM2+ 95W AD787KXDJCBOX Desktop Processor AMD Radeon R7

Reviews: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113393&ignorebbr=1

Unlock your system’s full compute potential with HSA

Revolutionary Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA) is a new standard in processor design where the CPU and GPU work together in harmony. With HSA, the full potential of AMD hardware is enabled for more efficient performance, so applications are fast and responsive.

Tuned for Modern Workloads

AMD A-Series APUs utilize the latest AMD Turbo Core technologies to optimize CPU and GPU performance in your latest applications, enabling up to 4.1GHz of CPU performance to deliver an amazing experience.

Get fantastic performance with GCN architecture

Immerse yourself in leading-edge graphics technology with Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture from AMD. This third-generation technology enables advanced features and the stunning performance of AMD Radeon™ graphics.

ASUS A88XM-E FM2+ AMD A88X (Bolton D4) 6 x SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Reviews: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132134&ignorebbr=1

G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C11D-16GAB

Reviews: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231671&ignorebbr=1

However, at the current time I am just watching the Canadian Dollar and checking out your links Dave but please post them here. Thanks. I have not been able to be on email as much as the sites.  Email, I have to sift through emails. Here I just go straight to this thread. Much easier for me. Thanks.

Offline One Eyed Wonderweasle

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2016, 07:03:29 pm »
 The reason I'm not so hot for the fm2+ line is that that the a10-7870k is about the top preforming chip for that type of motherboard. to get a faster chip (in the future) you'd have to switch motherboard types again(same situation  Schro  mentions where Am3+ can take 6 or 8 core cpu's not just up to quads).
   for the user reviews, when you have the newegg page up for the product example the motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132134&ignorebbr=1
then click either on the egg rating out of 5 (first pic) or down a bit further where it says "reviews" (second pic, top circle) to get the user ratings I was talking about.
 below are the links I emailed last night.

here's a fm2+ build if you wanted
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130856
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113379
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231672
prices are in Canadian dollars
comes to about $333.35 including shipping and sales tax.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2531&cmp[]=2362
similar cpu, no built in video.
and yes all still highly rated parts

another replacement mb ignore the cpu and ram. it will take your 8gigs and cpu.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/INTEL-DG35EC-MOTHERBOARD-W-CPU-CORE-2-DUO-3-0GHZ-E8400-1GB-RAM-I-O-SHIELD-/231821386195?hash=item35f9a1a1d3:g:Qe0AAOSwBLlU-Hpw
another
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Intel-DQ45CB-LGA-775-MicroATX-Motherboard-2GB-Memory-E6420-Core-2-Duo-2-13GHz-/231827618741?hash=item35fa00bbb5:g:LDcAAOSwHPlWewhP
same as yours minus a couple of connections you don't use anyway.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Asus-IPIBL-LB-with-Intel-E4600-/262309115411?hash=item3d12d77613:g:YocAAOSw3KFWfdNg
another same as yours
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ASUS-IPIBL-LB-Rev-1-01-HP-462797-001Motherboard-459163-002-/191816213060?hash=item2ca9232244:g:-3QAAOSwzgRW1H9F
as far as dual graphics goes. if your ad in card is worse than or equal to the apu's graphics you may see some improvement. but if your card is better than the Apu's graphics, you would get a decrease in performance. plus not all games will support dual graphics. And no I'm not using the wrong term ( you can only crossfire with 2 of the same Amd/Ati cards like 2x hd7770 where you can dual graphics certain, not all, similar graphics cards or card and Apu combos. 

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 01:33:37 am by [IA] KT KaBo0M »

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2016, 11:40:35 pm »
The reason I'm not so hot for the fm2+ line is that that the a10-7870k is about the top preforming chip for that type of motherboard.  To get a faster chip (in the future) you'd have to switch motherboard types again(same situation  Schro  mentions where Am3+ can take 6 or 8 core cpu's not just up to quads).

I can see your point where one may like to upgrade processors in the near future.  Especially if the said user settled on a lesser processor for a high end board to begin with at the time of purchase.  But as you so eloquently put it, "the a10-7870k is about the top preforming chip for that type of motherboard".  With that being said, who actually does that anymore?  Computer technology advances in leaps and bounds so quickly that even high end hardware purchased today is obsolete in less then a year.  So yeah, maybe a 6 or 8 core processor system might be better for hard core gamers, but at what cost?

as far as dual graphics goes. if your ad in card is worse than or equal to the apu's graphics you may see some improvement. but if your card is better than the Apu's graphics, you would get a decrease in performance. plus not all games will support dual graphics. And no I'm not using the wrong term ( you can only crossfire with 2 of the same Amd/Ati cards like 2x hd7770 where you can dual graphics certain, not all, similar graphics cards or card and Apu combos.

Grant it, it would be wise to pair graphics cards of similar chipset and power to get any noticeable performance gains.  And in KT's case currently, she would be.  Her HD-7770 uses a early Radeon R7 processor.  Now as time goes by, where she may need a serious graphics update, she still could.  She doesn't have to crossfire with the built in GPU if she chooses not to.  It can be disabled in favor for a high end single card.

Now look.  The bottom line is cost vs performance, and to utilize what remains of her current hardware that can be reused.  AND...., the final decision is hers.  KT, I would suggest that you do as much homework on this as you can.  Then check your finances to see what you can realistically afford.  We both have good points.  Dave's idea of going to a 6 or 8 core system on a AM3+ board would give you more performance.  But at the same time, the APU on the FM2+ board is almost just as powerful, but will lack future processor upgradability and some expandability.  It's still a very decent budget system.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 11:44:10 pm by Sandman[SA] »

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2016, 01:37:31 am »
Okay thank you. I have returned the DDR2 Ram (the 8Gb I bought 30 days ago) so that I am not limited to using only DDR2 in any motherboard I get as DDR3 is the way to go now (heck even DDR4 is out now).

I may have to wait for financial help to be able to buy what I need ... as I can't afford anything as I am unemployed and have bill collectors on my ass about my college loan still as I was not qualified for disability forgiveness even though if I went to College after 2000 I would have been qualified... and Disability gives me MINUS $100/mth than last year even though everything is going up in price and the Canadian dollar has plumetted.  :duh:

These are the factors important to me:

• Cost AND stability
  • All together so know it will work together?
  • Reputable seller
  • Equal or better than what I currently am running (do all future benchmarks compared to my current setup please)
  • Uses a more common RAm type so I can actually get it AND upgrade to more in the future if need be
  • Has enough USB, SATA, and PATA on the board
  • Will FIT in my brand new case I spent $113 on
  • Does not over heat
  • Can use Bryan's Radeon 7770 (Radeon R7 200 Series (Sapphire)
  • Reliable so it will work more than a year or two at the very least
  • Any other things I should require in a new Motherboard and Chip and Ram?
  • ?

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2016, 01:52:41 am »
Dave, you emailed me saying I could get the same board I have now: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HP-Compaq-Desktop-Motherboard-IPIBL-LB-Benicia-1-01-ASUS-/301867366182?hash=item4648b27726:g:GNMAAOSwuAVWt3-c

Is that the best for me for now til I have more money? I mean that WOULD be a good way to test if it IS in fact JUST the Motherboard that IS the problem.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Android 4.4.2 Android 4.4.2
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2016, 02:24:27 am »
Dave, you emailed me saying I could get the same board I have now: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HP-Compaq-Desktop-Motherboard-IPIBL-LB-Benicia-1-01-ASUS-/301867366182?hash=item4648b27726:g:GNMAAOSwuAVWt3-c

Is that the best for me for now til I have more money? I mean that WOULD be a good way to test if it IS in fact JUST the Motherboard that IS the problem.

That is a very affordable option.

Server Admins  |  General Category  |  Geek / Games Discussion  |  Katie's Latest CPU (Quad Q9550) & Vid Card (ATI Radeon HD 5870)

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.6 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Copyright © 2000-2024 Server Admins All Rights Reserved.
Page created in 6.133 seconds with 16 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx