gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
3037 Posts in 219 Topics by 30 Members - Latest Member: Kodiac April 27, 2024, 05:05:49 pm
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Calendar | Login | Register | Site | gfx
gfx
Server Admins  |  General Category  |  Geek / Games Discussion  |  What TYPE of Gamer would you say YOU are?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What TYPE of Gamer would you say YOU are?  (Read 1861 times)

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 121.0 Firefox 121.0
What TYPE of Gamer would you say YOU are?
« on: December 31, 2023, 03:19:06 pm »
I have been thinking about this for some time. Mostly because I know what kind of games I like to play and that I am a casual gamer. But when it comes to what games you guys would like, I am almost clueless about what games Dave likes to play the most.

I like RPG's and Crafting Open World type games. I don't mind MMORPG's as long as the player base is helpful and not wondering around killing everyone cheaply and unwarranted. I do not like games that have pvp in the same realm as pve. I love creating and I love character creation.

What kind of games do you guys like?

From what I know of Sandman he likes shooter games that you can use your brain to gain an advantage as well as open world crafting and building games to prepare for slaughtering enemies. He also likes realism and games that have vehicles in them. Especially ones you can mod.

From what I know of OneEyed I know a lot less. He seems to enjoy a variety but is picky about what catches his eye. He likes realism just like Sandman, but he does NOT like open-world crafting games at all. He prefers story games where you pick the chat opens to pick your path on what happens next. He seems to like dating sims. He also likes top-down Diablo-type games. He is not into war games but likes games that have a story behind them that comes out as you go deeper into the game.

What Genre of Games would you say appeal most to you?

A video game genre is a specific category of games related to similar gameplay characteristics. Video game genres are not usually defined by the setting or story of the game or its medium of play, but by the way the player interacts with the game.

Genres may encompass a wide variety of games, leading to even more specific classifications called subgenres. For example, an action game can be classified into many subgenres such as platform games and fighting games. Some games, most notably browser and mobile games, are commonly classified into multiple genres.

•     Sandbox
  •     Real-time strategy (RTS)
  •     Shooters (FPS and TPS)
  •     Multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA)
  •     Role-playing (RPG, ARPG, MMORPG)
  •     Simulation and sports / racing
  •     Action-adventure
  •     Survival and horror
  •     Platformer
  •     Visual Novel
  •     Social Deduction and Puzzle Games
  •     Digital Collectible Card Games

TL;DR: You don't NEED to read further unless you want to read more in-depth about those genres in detail.

Sandbox RPG or Open World RPG allow the player a large amount of freedom and usually contain a somewhat more open free-roaming (meaning the player is not confined to a single path restricted by rocks or fences etc.) world. Sandbox RPGs contain similarities to other sandbox games such as the Grand Theft Auto series, with a large number of interactable non-player characters, large amount of content and typically some of the largest worlds to explore and longest playtimes of all RPG due to the impressive amount of secondary content not critical to the game's main storyline. Sandbox RPG often attempt to emulate an entire region of their setting. Popular examples of this subgenre include the Dragon Slayer series by Nihon Falcom, the early Dragon Quest games by Chunsoft, Wasteland by Interplay Entertainment, the SaGa and Mana series by Squaresoft, System Shock 2 by Irrational Games and Looking Glass Studios, Deus Ex by Ion Storm, The Elder Scrolls and Fallout series by Bethesda Softworks and Interplay Entertainment, Fable by Lionhead Studios, the Gothic series by Piranha Bytes, and the Xenoblade Chronicles series by Monolith Soft. Other Sandbox games are Minecraft, Grand Theft Auto and The Sims

Real-time strategy (RTS) games, are usually applied only to certain computer strategy games, (however, this genre is probably the most well-known of strategy games and is what most websites mean when they say "strategy games") indicates that the action in the game is continuous, and players will have to make their decisions and actions within the backdrop of a constantly changing game state. Real-time strategy gameplay is characterized by obtaining resources, building bases, researching technologies and producing units. Blizzard Entertainment's StarCraft is a popular RTS played competitively in South Korea and televised to large audiences. Other notable games include the Warcraft series, Age of Empires series, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, Command and Conquer, and Dune II (essentially the first RTS game).

In shooter games (FPS and TPS), players use ranged weapons to participate in the action, which takes place at a distance. Most shooters involve violent gameplay; lethal weaponry is used to damage opponents. However, some shooters, such as Splatoon, have non-violent objectives. It is still called a shooter regardless of whether it takes place in a science fiction, western, fantasy, or military setting; so long as it features a camera mimicking the perspective of the protagonist (first-person) and gameplay centered around the use of ranged weaponry.

Shooters, aside from subgenre classifications, can be further classified by their perspective of play. First-person shooters are played from the protagonist's perspective; they often include a heads-up display showing key information such as the current health of the protagonist. In third-person shooters, the protagonist's body can be seen fully; the environment is rendered from a distance. Some shooters incorporate both perspectives. Some games are Halo (FPS), Gears of War (TPS) and DOOM (FPS).

Doom is broadly considered to be one of the most influential games in video gaming history. Other successful shooter series include Half-Life, a widely acclaimed and commercially successful series noted for its influence on contemporary shooters; and the Call of Duty franchise, with more than 250 million sales across all its titles.

Hero shooters are inspired by the multiplayer online battle arena genre and popular team-based shooters like Team Fortress 2. Examples of hero shooters include Overwatch, Paladins, Apex Legends, and Valorant.

Multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) is a genre of strategy video games in which each player controls a single character with a set of unique abilities that improve throughout a game and contribute to the team's overall strategy. Players work together as a team to achieve a victory condition which is to destroy the opposing team's main structure whilst protecting their own. Player characters, typically called "heroes" or "champions", are assisted by computer-controlled units that periodically spawn in groups and march forward along set paths (called "lanes") toward their enemy's base. Defensive structures, which are usually automatic "towers", are in place to prevent this. The first team to destroy the opponents' main structure wins the match. The genre is seen as a fusion of real-time strategy games, role-playing games, and action games, however, players usually do not construct either buildings or units.
League of Legends, Dota 2, Heroes of the Storm, Mobile Legends: Bang Bang, and Smite.

Role-playing video games (RPG) draw their gameplay from traditional tabletop role-playing games like Dungeons & Dragons. Most of these games cast the player in the role of a character that grows in strength and experience throughout the game. By overcoming difficult challenges and/or defeating monsters, the player gains experience points which represent the character's progress in a chosen profession or class (such as melee combat or ranged magic spells) and allow the player to gain new abilities once a set amount is obtained. Many RPGs contain an open world known as an overworld, which is usually populated with monsters, that allows access to more important game locations, such as towns, dungeons, and castles.
Baldur's Gate, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Skyrim and Fallout 4 are RPG games.

The action role-playing game or action RPG (ARPG) is a type of role-playing video game which incorporates real-time combat as opposed to turn-based or menu-based, often borrowing elements from action games or action-adventure games. Some of the first action role-playing games were produced by Nihon Falcom in the 1980s, such as the Dragon Slayer series and Ys series. Later so-called "Diablo clones" are also part of this genre. Although the precise definition of the genre varies, the typical action RPG features a heavy emphasis on combat, often simplifying or removing non-combat attributes and statistics and the effect they have on the character's development. Additionally, combat always takes place using a real-time system (hence the "action") that relies on the player's ability to perform particular actions with speed and accuracy to determine success, rather than mainly using the player character's attributes to determine this. And example is The Witcher 3 (ARPG).

Massively multiplayer online role-playing games, or MMORPG, emerged in the mid to late 1990s as a commercial, graphical variant of text-based MUDs, which had existed since 1978. By and large, MMORPG feature the usual RPG objectives of completing quests and strengthening one's player character but involve up to hundreds of players interacting with each other on the same persistent world in real-time. The massively multiplayer concept was quickly combined with other genres. Fantasy MMORPG, like Final Fantasy XI, The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar, and The Elder Scrolls Online, remain the most popular type of MMOG, with the most popular "pay-to-play" game being World of Warcraft, and the most popular "free-to-play" games including RuneScape and TERA, yet other types of MMORPG are appearing. Sci-fi MMORPG like Phantasy Star Online hold a smaller part of the market, with the popular space sci-fi game EVE Online being the most notable. Other massively multiplayer online games which do not have a conventional RPG setting include Second Life and Ingress.

Simulation video games are a diverse super-category of games, generally designed to closely simulate aspects of a real or fictional reality. Some are simulations of sports and others are of just life or careers in life. Examples are The Sims, Farming Simulator, Forza Motorsport, Madden NFL, and NBA2K to name a few.

Construction and management simulations (or CMS) are a type of simulation game which task players to build, expand or manage fictional communities or projects with limited resources.

Vehicle simulation games are a genre of video games which attempt to provide the player with a realistic interpretation of operating various kinds of vehicles. Some are Flight Simulator X, X-Plane 11, SpinTires, Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator.

Racing games typically place the player in the driver's seat of a high-performance vehicle and require the player to race against other drivers or sometimes just in time. This genre of games is one of the staples of the computer gaming world and many of the earliest computer games created were part of this genre.
Indycar, NASCAR, Formula 1, Need For Speed, Crash Team Racing and Gran Turismo.

Action / Adventure games emphasize physical challenges that require hand-eye coordination and motor skill to overcome. They center around the player, who is in control of most of the action. Among the earliest recognizable hybrid genres, action-adventure games have a deep focus on plot and combat through story involvement and tight gameplay mechanics. As a result, many games can fit into this category, including the classic Legend of Zelda franchise that paved the way for numerous franchises. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is another well-received action-adventure title. More Action games are Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice and Assassin’s Creed.

Horror games are games that incorporate elements of horror fiction into their narrative, generally irrespective of the type of gameplay. It is one of the few major video game categories that are recognized by narrative elements rather than by gameplay, gameplay mode, or platform. Survival horror is a subgenre of horror games focused on the action-adventure style of gameplay.

Survival games start the player off with minimal resources, in a hostile, open-world environment, and require them to collect resources, craft tools, weapons, and shelter, to survive as long as possible. Many are set in procedurally-generated environments and are open-ended with no set goals. They may overlap with the survival horror genre, in which the player must survive within a supernatural setting, such as a zombie apocalypse.
7 Days to Die, The Walking Dead, State of Decay 2, DayZ, Project Zomboid, The Last of Us, Days Gone, The Last Stand: Aftermath, Dying Light 2: Stay Human, Night of the Dead, Dead Island, The Long Dark, Don’t Starve and Resident Evil (survival-horror).

Platform games (or platformers) have gameplay primarily centered around jumping and climbing to navigate the player's environment. They may have enemies or obstacles to avoid and fight or may just be pure jumping puzzles. Generally the playable characters in a platform game can jump many times their height and the player is offered some control over their movement in midair as well as the height and distance of their jumps.
Donkey Kong (1981) was one of the earliest and best-known platformers; the American gaming press classified it using the term climbing game at the time. More modern Platformer examples are Cuphead, Crash Bandicoot and Ori & The Blind Forest.

A visual novel is a game featuring mostly static graphics, usually with anime-style art. As the name might suggest, they resemble mixed-media novels or tableau-vivant stage plays. Many visual novels track statistics that the player must build to advance the plot, and permit a variety of endings, allowing more dynamic reactions to the player's actions than a typical linear adventure plot. Many visual novels are dating sims, including bishōjo games.

A social deduction game is a game in which players attempt to uncover each other's hidden role or team allegiance. During gameplay, players can use logic and deductive reasoning to try to deduce one another's roles, while other players can bluff to keep players from suspecting them. A notable example of the social deduction video game is Among Us.

Puzzle Games are games that make you think about what you need to complete a task to continue. Examples are Minesweeper, Jackbox Party Pack, The Talos Principle, The Tomb Raider series and Portal 2.

Digital Collectible Card Games is a trading card game that is played digitally with others online. Magic: The Gathering (colloquially known as Magic or MTG) is one of them.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
Re: What TYPE of Gamer would you say YOU are?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 03:34:37 pm »
I also was reading something about what is it you get out of the games you like.

Achievers are all about points and status. They want to be able to show their friends how they are progressing. They like to collect badges and put them on display.

Explorers want to see new things and discover new secrets. They’re not as bothered about points or prizes. For them, discovery is the prize.

Socializers experience fun in their games through their interaction with other players. Socializers are happy to collaborate in order to achieve bigger and better things than they could on their own. Games, such as Farmville (Facebook’s largest game), appeal to the Socializer.

The Killer denotes an ominous-sounding type, but one that is nonetheless valid. Killers are similar to Achievers in the way that they get a thrill from gaining points and winning status too. What sets them apart from Achievers is that the Killers want to see other people lose. They’re highly competitive, and winning is what motivates them.

Me, personally, I like discovering as well as creating and exploring.

I even found a quiz for what game you try next: https://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=1dq-what-type-of-video-game-should-i-play

My result was: You should play a Role Playing Game! Some examples for you to try are: World Of Warcraft, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Dauntless, Nier: Automata, etc.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Microsoft Edge Microsoft Edge
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 08:17:39 pm »
I thought it was apparent that I seem to gravitate toward PvE or single player games.  Those kinds of games are far less stressful.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 02:24:43 pm »
I thought it was apparent that I seem to gravitate toward PvE or single player games.  Those kinds of games are far less stressful.

Ya I think that is Dave as well. Even though you both did like TF2.

Sometimes I will be interested in games that are not my normal type if other gamers make them look good in their Twitch life streams or YouTube recordings.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 08:18:49 pm »
I hated TF2.  It has a lot that is similar to TFC.  But it is played so radically different.  I did love TFC though.  TFC had a huge skill curve in the form and use of grenades that was completely removed from TF2.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2024, 01:55:56 am »
I hated TF2.  It has a lot that is similar to TFC.  But it is played so radically different.  I did love TFC though.  TFC had a huge skill curve in the form and use of grenades that was completely removed from TF2.

The TF2 demoman and soldier were originally supposed to be played strategically but seemed to not be a huge hit by new players. Only with players who were already fans of TFC. They have added a lot of gimmicks I find to FT2.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2024, 05:10:08 pm »
The soldier and demo can be played about the same in TFC, FF and TF2.  Minus the grenades of course.  In TFC and FF, you have the bonus of added mobility, speed, distraction, defense and damage, all from the use of grenades.  In TF2, it's all about crit damage and cosmetics.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2024, 10:23:37 pm »
The soldier and demo can be played about the same in TFC, FF and TF2.  Minus the grenades of course.  In TFC and FF, you have the bonus of added mobility, speed, distraction, defense and damage, all from the use of grenades.  In TF2, it's all about crit damage and cosmetics.

Ya they did not have all the cosmetics (which started with boxes and then hats) on first release of TF2 but once they got those the game seemed to completely change into its own game with only a slight resemblance of TFC.

Server Admins  |  General Category  |  Geek / Games Discussion  |  What TYPE of Gamer would you say YOU are?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.6 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Copyright © 2000-2024 Server Admins All Rights Reserved.
Page created in 2.399 seconds with 16 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx