gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
3030 Posts in 218 Topics by 30 Members - Latest Member: Kodiac April 19, 2024, 07:23:29 am
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Calendar | Login | Register | Site | gfx
gfx
Server Admins  |  General Category  |  Geek / Games Discussion  |  Geek Talk: KT's old Netbook (32bit) - OS alternatives??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Geek Talk: KT's old Netbook (32bit) - OS alternatives??  (Read 3344 times)

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 113.0 Firefox 113.0
Re: Geek Talk: KT's old Netbook (32bit) - OS alternatives??
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2023, 10:45:59 pm »
I know, old thread.  But I just came across this and thought I would share it here.  It's essentially Windows 10 (windows 11 coming soon) but with a method to debloat the crap out of it.

https://atlasos.net/

I will have to check it out. I gave up on the netbook and got a couple laptops and computers from my dad (only tried to upgrade one of the laptops which I dual booted but was not assigned to my account so Dave did it over for me). I will have to check out that link and perhaps put that on the other laptop. I haven't booted any of them up other than that one as I just haven't had the time and Dave wasn't interested until I put Win 10 on that one. They are old and my dad was going to just toss them out anyway and I thought heck if they are worth nothing I could still get money for the metal :P (not much but hey). I did take out the card reader out of one of the cases my dad was tossing and told him to keep that but still have to put it in for him. Just been too busy with my mom to go over.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2023, 10:48:40 pm »
Already put 10 on the dual core laptop, works ok. but the netbook isn't a dual core and doesn't even meet W10's requirements.it was under powered and limited by the standards of it's time. Today almost anything is past it's capabilities. my suggested use case for it would be go back to XP and use the screensaver as a digital picture frame. about the only thing it might be able to handle given it's specs.

Dave that netbook is so useless and outdated now that even my dad's old castoffs that YOU turned down was better. :P  Even my bro's youngest kids would not want to be on that netbook. It can be used as a seat when forced to sit on the ground maybe :P

But my dad's laptop is better right? It will just be used when I am not at home or when my computer is being worked on for really just Discord, Skype, FB Messenger, and video watching really. Maybe basic gaming (GW2) but nothing more. Forum browsing and chatting on Discord mainly.

Right now the focus is on my Uncle's palliative care and my mom. After the funeral I will get the computer to you (well you to it and then you back home to work on upgrading it and all). What kind of Antivirus is on the laptop? I am not really a fan of AVG even though I know you swear by it. What browser did you install? Is it Win 10 Pro? That is what I attempted and successfully put on it but did not have it registered to my key / account sadly. Thanks for fixing that Dave.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Microsoft Edge Microsoft Edge
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2023, 01:19:15 am »
And rightfully so.  If someone needs a working computer, they should get one that will do what they need and want it to do for the next 4+ years.

Offline One Eyed Wonderweasle

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2023, 05:16:07 pm »
 In an ideal situation sure, but in an "I got these computers given to me for free and I don't have a budget to throw at it. I'd say she's doing ok to find something that she can get by with for the time being. And like I said the netbook could make for a digital  picture frame with even just XP or tiny XP and the simple "picture screensaver".

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Opera 98.0.0.0 Opera 98.0.0.0
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2023, 07:10:33 pm »
In an ideal situation sure, but in an "I got these computers given to me for free and I don't have a budget to throw at it. I'd say she's doing ok to find something that she can get by with for the time being. And like I said the netbook could make for a digital  picture frame with even just XP or tiny XP and the simple "picture screensaver".

That is such a space waster. If you want it for that use I can give it to you.

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2023, 09:42:07 pm »
 Truthfully I'd probably just use an old laptop or AIO computer for that if I was going to do that.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Opera 99.0.0.0 Opera 99.0.0.0
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2023, 07:58:03 am »
Ya point is I don't have the need to use anything as a picture frame as it is. Heck we bought one for my mom a few years back and even though it was nice at first the novelty of it QUICKLY faded. Besides, I don't even turn on my netbook anymore. Even my little nieces who are 4 and 6 have better tech and don't have use for it. I think I will just wipe it to factory install and donate it to a second hand store or something.

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 115.0 Firefox 115.0
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2023, 02:57:11 pm »
 Could be done. Probably the best way to get rid of it. I would at least suggest a low level format (aka 0 wipe of the hd for less chance of any data retention.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Opera 99.0.0.0 Opera 99.0.0.0
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2023, 02:05:32 pm »
Could be done. Probably the best way to get rid of it. I would at least suggest a low level format (aka 0 wipe of the hd for less chance of any data retention.

I will let you do that. I am too busy this week getting a 2014 CR-V and worried about money and one less thing I have to worry about the better so I don't have time to deal with the netbook. So I figure you can format it anyway you like and then I can drop it off unless there is anything you want to use it for.

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 115.0 Firefox 115.0
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2023, 06:38:59 am »
 I guess I could do the wipe. I don't have any use for the netbook though.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2023, 04:38:33 pm »
I guess I could do the wipe. I don't have any use for the netbook though.

Me neither ... unless I use it to bait scammers. Always wanted to try my hand at that. ;)

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Opera 102.0.0.0 Opera 102.0.0.0
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2023, 06:12:35 am »
Funny thing is my dad just handed one to me he no longer wanted that still had Windows XP on it when I saw him for Thanksgiving. lol .. I told him it was not worth anything.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2023, 09:46:29 pm »
Funny thing is my dad just handed one to me he no longer wanted that still had Windows XP on it when I saw him for Thanksgiving. lol .. I told him it was not worth anything.

Geee, thanks dad.  lol

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Opera 102.0.0.0 Opera 102.0.0.0
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2023, 06:35:54 pm »

Geee, thanks dad.  lol

Hey he doesn't know computers, :P To him, it is a computer and that is all he knows. :) He knew Dave would not take it, so I did. :) I already took out a card reader out of his old PC for him to have for his new one but still haven't had the time to go over and put it in (I don't know his mobo and would have to look it up but sure it is easy). I have 2 of his old cases I thought I would check out or salvage .. dunno and that netbook .. well ... I don't even think children would want it in this day of age where they have much better as toys. Still, I took the net book off him figuring, maybe I can use it in scam baiting lol :P .. We will see. ;)

Server Admins  |  General Category  |  Geek / Games Discussion  |  Geek Talk: KT's old Netbook (32bit) - OS alternatives??

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.6 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Copyright © 2000-2024 Server Admins All Rights Reserved.
Page created in 5.48 seconds with 18 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx