gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
2977 Posts in 217 Topics by 29 Members - Latest Member: Frosty[SA] March 29, 2024, 08:51:10 am
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Calendar | Login | Register | Site | gfx
gfx
Server Admins  |  General Category  |  Geek / Games Discussion  |  Being an Independent Woman .. little tips for my life
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Being an Independent Woman .. little tips for my life  (Read 2408 times)

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Opera 92.0.0.0 Opera 92.0.0.0
Being an Independent Woman .. little tips for my life
« on: December 01, 2022, 11:22:45 pm »
There are many little questions I have not asked, feeling I sound like a moron or a typical "woman". One of those are how to properly pump up tires.

I found this video helpful for me.

What other things might you know that many don't that you think could help me??

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Microsoft Edge Microsoft Edge
    • The Server Admins
Re: Being an Independent Woman .. little tips for my life
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 10:35:28 pm »
I really don't have much to add.  He is right about everything he touched on.  The correct tire pressures you should have in your tires is listed on a tire maintenance sticker on the bottom of the driver's door B pilar.  It's commonly a white and yellow sticker. 

The tire pressure sensors (if working) will trigger the low tire pressure light at or below 26 PSI.  And if the tire pressure is more than 7 PSI between all 4 tires.  For example.  Say you have 2 tires at 32 PSI, one at 29 PSI and one at 37 PSI, the tire pressure light or TPMS light (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) will turn on.  Even though all 4 tires look fine.  Something that people need to be aware of is that the permanently sealed batteries inside TPMS sensors have a life expectancy of about 10 years on average.  So they will need to be replaced and reprogramed when they stop transmitting.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 07:28:43 am »
I really don't have much to add.  He is right about everything he touched on.  The correct tire pressures you should have in your tires is listed on a tire maintenance sticker on the bottom of the driver's door B pilar.  It's commonly a white and yellow sticker. 

The tire pressure sensors (if working) will trigger the low tire pressure light at or below 26 PSI.  And if the tire pressure is more than 7 PSI between all 4 tires.  For example.  Say you have 2 tires at 32 PSI, one at 29 PSI and one at 37 PSI, the tire pressure light or TPMS light (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) will turn on.  Even though all 4 tires look fine.  Something that people need to be aware of is that the permanently sealed batteries inside TPMS sensors have a life expectancy of about 10 years on average.  So they will need to be replaced and reprogramed when they stop transmitting.

Can you believe all this time before that video I had no clue about that and would try my hardest to read the faded text on the tire itself??

Ya, my car does not seem to have any on dash sensor ever show up for tire pressure. I did not even know that was a thing until I heard it is in a lot of the new cars now. Well, the way they make cares nowadays .... not like it would last 10 years anyway most likely. Not like how cars used to be. ;)

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 08:56:42 pm »
Can you believe all this time before that video I had no clue about that and would try my hardest to read the faded text on the tire itself??

Yeah.  And you're not alone.  Many people don't know what their tire pressure is supposed to be.

Ya, my car does not seem to have any on dash sensor ever show up for tire pressure. I did not even know that was a thing until I heard it is in a lot of the new cars now. Well, the way they make cares nowadays .... not like it would last 10 years anyway most likely. Not like how cars used to be. ;)

That may be true.  But if you ever notice an icon light up on your dash that looks like the image posted below, then you know.

TPMS systems have been around since the year 2000.  But it didn't become a mandatory safety feature until the 2008 model year I believe.  These systems come in 2 verities.  Direct and Indirect.  Direct systems commonly have a transmitter inside the wheel.  Most often, it's part of the valve stem itself.  Where Indirect systems more precisely measure wheel speed and can make a reasonable guess that the tire is low on air thru a software algorithm.  Both systems have flaws though.  Direct sensors are battery powered and have a fairly limited life span.  Typically, around 8 to 10 years.  And can be easily damaged or crushed from a flat or improper tire replacement procedure.  Indirect systems can get false readings when you mix new tires with worn tires.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 04:00:33 am »
Ya I don't have that but there is a possibility my mom may but just hasn't gotten it yet.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 07:42:36 pm »
She should count her blessings.  I recently had to replace all 4 sensors on my older 2007 Honda Pilot.  This was less then 6 months ago.  But over the past 2 weeks, I have randomly had the TPMS light come on, but not indicate which tire is reading low.  I tested my sensors with my Thinktool ProS TPMS tool several times.  And regularly have trouble reading the right front sensor.  The battery in it is reporting good.  But it sometimes fails to transmit on request.

Here are the tools I use to read and program TPMS sensors.
ThinkCar ThinkTool ProS
ThinkCar ThinkTPMS

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 113.0 Firefox 113.0
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2023, 11:27:05 pm »
My car needs an oil change. Even though I MIGHT be able to get my brother Lonnie to do it and borrow my dad's oil pan, I still would like to know about my car as the owner's manual was one of the things stolen when that thief broke my window and took everything last year.

My car is a 2005 Pontiac Pursuit which is only made in Canada and not the USA as far as I read.

Trying to find a manual online to familiarize myself with it as car manuals are so expensive now (they don't have the same ones they used to that were cheaper anywhere I look).

Seems I was able to find it here: https://my.gm.ca/gm/en/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/GMCC/dynamic/2005/pontiac/pursuit/en/2005_Pontiac_Pursuit_Manual_en_CA.pdf

The only light that is always on the dash is the Malfunction Indicator Lamp Check Engine Light but that is because the air sensor (or what ever my bro Shawn told me) needs to be replaced but he never did it.

I have the radio that came with the car but most of the lights don't work and I can never see what Station I am on but it does save all the stations I have programmed in. I do NOT have XM Radio.

When I saw the Engine Compartment Overview I was a little taken aback as it was not like any I had seen before. What I mean is this seemed more covered up and not as exposed as I was used to seeing under the hood of cars I owned.

I have a burnt out front passenger turn signal and already have the light bulb but just need to put it in. Thinking of getting my dad to help me with that. He is easier to get ahold of than either of my brothers.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2023, 01:43:09 am »
Just so that you are aware, the 2005 Pontiac Pursuit (Canadian) or G6 (American) takes 5 quarts or 4.7 liters of 5w30 semi synthetic motor oil.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Opera 98.0.0.0 Opera 98.0.0.0
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2023, 12:48:24 pm »
Just so that you are aware, the 2005 Pontiac Pursuit (Canadian) or G6 (American) takes 5 quarts or 4.7 liters of 5w30 semi synthetic motor oil.

If I can afford it I will switch to my dying uncle's 2014 Honda CR-V. What can you tell me about that? Have you worked on one before? it is in great shape as he kept up regular maintenance as he isn't poor like I am.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2023, 08:54:32 pm »
Honda's and Toyota's are well known for their legendary dependability and reliability.  And if you keep up with the regular maintenance, they could very well be the last car you ever buy.  I've worked on lots of Honda CR-V's and it's almost always for common wear and tear maintenance.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2023, 09:16:51 pm »
Honda's and Toyota's are well known for their legendary dependability and reliability.  And if you keep up with the regular maintenance, they could very well be the last car you ever buy.  I've worked on lots of Honda CR-V's and it's almost always for common wear and tear maintenance.

Do you think I can realistically afford the maintenance, though?

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2023, 09:33:30 pm »

Same could be said about what you currently drive honestly.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2023, 09:39:35 pm »

Same could be said about what you currently drive honestly.

Well what I mean is my car is crap and was before I owned it so I don't get undercoat spraying to remove salt and don't fix the rusted body.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2023, 09:57:06 pm »
What I was trying to suggest is that you have the opportunity to get a much newer and nicer car, practically for free.  Only your budget will get in the way for whatever maintenance it will require down the road.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Opera 99.0.0.0 Opera 99.0.0.0
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2023, 07:43:33 am »
What I was trying to suggest is that you have the opportunity to get a much newer and nicer car, practically for free.  Only your budget will get in the way for whatever maintenance it will require down the road.

Basically for free is not free enough when only gifting a vehicle is for siblings or a parent to child. Cousin or Uncle is different ... So there are a few costs I will have to handle but that will be this month.

I will post pics later of the 2014 CRV

Server Admins  |  General Category  |  Geek / Games Discussion  |  Being an Independent Woman .. little tips for my life

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.6 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Copyright © 2000-2024 Server Admins All Rights Reserved.
Page created in 5.947 seconds with 16 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx