gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
3037 Posts in 219 Topics by 30 Members - Latest Member: Kodiac April 27, 2024, 07:24:33 am
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Calendar | Login | Register | Site | gfx
gfx
Server Admins  |  General Category  |  General Discussion  |  Well, this doesn't sound good!!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Well, this doesn't sound good!!!  (Read 9020 times)

Offline One Eyed Wonderweasle

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 118.0 Firefox 118.0
Re: Well, this doesn't sound good!!!
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2023, 12:21:59 pm »

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Microsoft Edge Microsoft Edge
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2023, 09:33:09 pm »
What's scarier is that it's been a thing for years.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Opera 102.0.0.0 Opera 102.0.0.0
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2023, 05:40:23 am »

This is why it is important to know other search engines. I use more than one simply because some can find things others cannot but the ones that can search more results are the ones that do naughty things like that.

The MOST Popular Search Engines:
  • Google
  • Bing
  • Yahoo
  • Baidu
  • Yandex

Source: Most Popular Search Engines (https://www.dopinger.com/blog/most-popular-search-engines)

I am not going to list all the pros and cons of those so the link is there. Click it if you want to read about each of those.

Best Alternatives to Google

DuckDuckGo is the king of privacy-friendly search engines. Using it is like using the incognito mode on Chrome.

You can also get the DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials browser extension to block trackers and keep you safe online. From my OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE I will say that some online bank use will NOT login if you have it installed however...

DuckDuckGo isn’t perfect, though. According to CNET, it uses Bing to power its results; for that reason, it has some Microsoft trackers that it is contractually obligated to use.

Nevertheless, it’s still light-years ahead of Google regarding privacy.

Brave is a privacy-focused browser with ad blocking, tracker blocking, and other safety features. It now also has a search engine, called Brave Search.

Brave Search is the default search engine on the Brave Browser. However, you can also use it at search.brave.com, whether you’re using Chrome, Firefox, or any other browser.

Brave search tracks nothing – not what you search for, not what you click on. Since it doesn’t have any user data, it can’t give it to governments or sell it to advertisers.

Unlike DuckDuckGo, Brave Search uses its proprietary index to bring you results. That means that it will never be forced by Bing or other large search engines to include hidden trackers.

However, it does rely on Bing for most image and video results. Also, it uses fallback mixing to check results from Bing if it can’t bring up accurate results of its own.

It uses community suggestions and feedback to improve its results and bring you more accurate ones.

It also has a beta Goggles feature, which allows you to customize your own search results with rules and filters.

Brave Search is supported by ads, and Brave plans to incorporate those ads into the Brave Rewards program in the future.

Bing is the second-largest search engine in the world. The main reason to use it instead of Google is its rewards program.

You’ll get rewards just for browsing the web on Bing. You won’t earn much – but every few weeks or months, you cann redeem a small gift card for Amazon, Walmart, Target, Starbucks, and other stores.

Not only that, but you can also get scratch-and-win rewards, enter sweepstakes, and more.

DogPile is an interesting addition to this list. Founded in 1996, it is older than Google, Bing (originally MSN Search), and AOL.

It has a weird name, and its interface looks a bit outdated. However, DogPile continues to fulfill its original goal – to be a metasearch engine that includes results from multiple other engines.

One of the issues people have when choosing a search engine is that some engines might be more relevant for different searches. For example, you might prefer Bing’s results for one keyword search, even if you prefer Google’s results for a different keyword search.

DogPile includes results from Google, Bing, Yandex, and other search engines. It will filter out duplicates, allowing you to get more results than you would get from using just one engine.

However, DogPile is no longer as practical as it used to be, as many search engines it used to rely on for its results have gone offline or been bought out by bigger search engines like Google.

People all know about Google but it was NOT the first Search Engine by far! Heck I remember the days of Search Jeeves and AltaVista and DogPile search engines! But the FIRST Search Engine was Archie. It was made in 1990. That was before I used a search engine as those were the days before the net. I was only into BBS back then and did not yet own my own computer.

Did you know that Google changes its algorithm between 500 and 600 times a year? In a way that is excellent as it prevents CEO's from manipulating the search results to benefit only their companies. This I learned about over a decade ago before I even had my own domain.

Backrub was Google’s first name. Interesting, huh? Even I did not know that. 

The funny thing is that now, when people are searching for something online, they now use “Googling” as a verb to mean searching for something on the internet. I still say searching. I am old school ;) but the kids today .. this is what they call it.

The average search engine result page includes 10 organic listings and about 4 paid advertisements.

Myself, I use a combination of Duck Duck Go and Bing. My mom uses Yahoo Search. I also use AdBlock Plus but still if you use Google you will always get the ads that are embedded in the searches above and below the results you want.

I am not going to list the pros to using search engines here as we are all geeks and already know what they are off the top of our heads. But do you know all the cons? Especially of popular ones like Google?

Here is a list of cons about search engines:

• Privacy concerns
  • Spread of false information
  • Bias
  • Advertising
  • Addiction and overuse
  • Lack of critical thinking
  • Keyword manipulation
  • Algorithm changes
  • Information overload
  • Spam and malware

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2023, 12:03:35 am »

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2023, 03:59:23 am »

Does not surprise me. Honestly it was just a matter of time.

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 119.0 Firefox 119.0

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2023, 09:34:05 pm »
I don't think that is a bad thing honestly.  If you haven't logged into any of your Google services in over 2 years, you most likely aren't going to care.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2023, 12:13:19 pm »
I don't think that is a bad thing honestly.  If you haven't logged into any of your Google services in over 2 years, you most likely aren't going to care.

My brother Shawn wants to keep his google account for when he loses a job and needs me to email him his resume again or need to get back onto his FB that he also forgot his login for. I always have to remind him what his gmail account password is because he never remembers. Yes I know it. Like I had said previously, my brothers are mechanics not computer smart geeks. I am the computer geek of the family so they come to me like I come to them about car help (if they have time which they usually don't).

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2023, 07:39:58 pm »
my brothers are mechanics not computer smart geeks. I am the computer geek of the family.

I hate to break it to you but a modern day technician will be spending countless hours on computers and scan tools doing diagnostic work.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2023, 07:32:53 pm »
my brothers are mechanics not computer smart geeks. I am the computer geek of the family.

I hate to break it to you but a modern day technician will be spending countless hours on computers and scan tools doing diagnostic work.

Ya which makes YOU more modern than them. Neither work in a shop currently. Chances are Shawn knows how more than the other bro.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2023, 04:07:45 pm »
Well, if your brothers intend to work on anything made after 1996, they will need a decent OBD2 scan tool.  Funny how even the simplest jobs like changing the engine oil or replacing brake pads would require the use of a scan tool.  Most modern cars require a scan tool to reset the maintenance reminder.  Or cars with electronic parking brakes require a scan tool to fully open, then close the parking brake actuators.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2023, 04:29:21 pm »
Well, if your brothers intend to work on anything made after 1996, they will need a decent OBD2 scan tool.  Funny how even the simplest jobs like changing the engine oil or replacing brake pads would require the use of a scan tool.  Most modern cars require a scan tool to reset the maintenance reminder.  Or cars with electronic parking brakes require a scan tool to fully open, then close the parking brake actuators.

Well heck I am the one with an OBD2 scan tool :P but Shawn did borrow it once. My dad has his own. But mine was bought about a decade ago so ...

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2023, 06:57:28 pm »
Well heck I am the one with an OBD2 scan tool :P but Shawn did borrow it once. My dad has his own. But mine was bought about a decade ago so ...

I am left to assume that you have one of those budget OBD code readers that can only access the PCM or ECM?  Powertrain Control Module or Engine Control Module.  Those are perfectly suited for the average DIY'er that wants to see firsthand why the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light or more commonly called a check engine light) is on.  And possibly try to fix it themselves.  Or at least have a rough idea of what they may be facing when they bring it to a shop for repair.  Good for you Angie.  I'm proud of you!

But what I was referring to was a more in-depth scan tool.  Something that can access every module in the vehicle.  Read codes, delete codes, read live data.  And even program some modules.  Unfortunately, scan tools like that cost hundreds to even thousands of dollars.  And for the persons that like to work on their own cars, these are a must have tool.  I am shocked and amazed that neither of your brothers have one.

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 119.0 Firefox 119.0
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2023, 09:19:26 am »
 Ok, I think that got of the original topic. but more not great news. He's not just talking about Youtube.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2023, 08:08:19 pm »
The bottom line is, Google and YouTube are upset that they are losing revenue from Adblockers.  So, they are forcing users to turn them off so ads can get through.  Some of these ads might be malicious and they don't care because they are getting paid.

Server Admins  |  General Category  |  General Discussion  |  Well, this doesn't sound good!!!

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.6 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Copyright © 2000-2024 Server Admins All Rights Reserved.
Page created in 0.262 seconds with 16 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx