gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
2974 Posts in 217 Topics by 29 Members - Latest Member: Frosty[SA] March 19, 2024, 06:51:45 am
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Calendar | Login | Register | Site | gfx
gfx
Server Admins  |  General Category  |  Geek / Games Discussion  |  Windows 11 - Do we want it or can we even handle it?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Windows 11 - Do we want it or can we even handle it?  (Read 6095 times)

Offline One Eyed Wonderweasle

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 106.0 Firefox 106.0
Re: Here comes Windows 11!?
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2022, 04:30:22 pm »
 I think up till recently she was using a VGA cable but when she had a problem at her mom's with the video cable she ended up using the the DVI cable (this was I believe earlier this year).
I don't know what monitor she's running or where you get the idea that a 1hz difference or even that that is a thing is coming from. is her problem from me saying that she wouldn't go to a larger monitor based on her desk design( that her monitor is inset in one of the compartments of). Do you think 1440p gaming is really a resolution she would end up using on a 19 " monitor. If we were talking about a 32" or so monitor I could see your point for 1440p. but at 19-20" I really can't see the need for it. like a 15.6 in 4k screen is it practical?

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Microsoft Edge Microsoft Edge
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2022, 08:50:42 pm »
It doesn't really matter what her current displays true max refresh rate is.  It's fine for what she has now.  But it's to slow for modern gaming hardware.  A DVI connection is simply outdated and adding an adaptor from HDMI or DP to DVI will not provide any improvements.  In fact, it could make gaming performance worse by adding additional latency.  And no.  A 15.6-inch 4K display is not practical for anything other than a high-end laptop computer.

I haven't done much research on this, but I haven't seen any 1440p displays under 24".  (23.8" doesn't count.  It's still 24".)  But it seems that 24-to-27-inch displays are the sweet spot for 2K resolution over 120 Hz, and at reasonable prices.  I have tried talking to her about this and she has expressed the same concerns about her available desk space.  There is no room for a larger display or even anything outside of her preferred case size that can fit inside of her desk.  She is very sentimental about holding on to that desk.  It fulfilled all her needs when she got it way back when.  But it will no longer support a modern gaming computer system.  So, I am not sure what we can do for her at this point.  She needs a desk intervention or something.  lol.  There are plenty of ways to create a decent budget desk.  One example is using cheap filing cabinets under a piece of countertop material.  And she can get one of those snap together cube storage things for on desktop storage if she needs it.  The possibilities are endless.

If KT does get to reading this, these videos can help explain a few things about displays.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 11:02:58 pm by Sandman[SA] »

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 105.0 Firefox 105.0
Katie's PC is very outdated by now Oct 2022
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2022, 02:13:50 am »
I don't know what monitor she has.  But I did get her a better set of headphones not that long ago.  If that is an older LCD monitor, I need to know what connection it uses.  VGA?  DVI?  HDMI?  That will be important to know.  I fear she will need a new monitor as well with a newer graphics card.  Wait...  Is she is still using that alien case that team SA got her all those years ago?  That case was barely "ok" for the AMD phenom II X3 she had way back then.  It doesn't have enough airflow needed for the 2nd gen Intel she has now, let alone a considerably higher TDP 8th gen you're planning for her.
I think up till recently she was using a VGA cable but when she had a problem at her mom's with the video cable she ended up using the the DVI cable (this was I believe earlier this year). 

🌟 In an attempt to make this post not as long I have added spoilers.
So that if you WANT additional info you can click them. If not, read on.
🌟

DVI and my 19" monitor fits to the max width of 18" in my hutch so sadly any bigger will have to sit in front of my hutch. I AM willing to do that. Read spoiler for more on that.

Spoiler (hover to show)

I am going to try to reorganize as well as get Dave over here to help me figure out a better arrangement for more room which will open up more possibilities.

One question I have is about my RAM. I have just 8Gb right? Because for some reason I had in my sig 16. It is 8. I had put 16 because that is what you told me you upgraded me to back in 2021:

As to KT's question to what she has now besides the 4tb drive that was put in I also upgrade her ram to 16gb, and her cpu to an I7 2600 at 3.4ghz (replacing the i5 2400 3.1ghz).

I am going to open my case up (after powering down of course) and see if the stick is seated properly.

UPDATE: I can see through the door that the right stick is popped out of its seat at the top just a bit but obviously enough to not make contact. You can even see in the attachments at the end of this post the memory load recorded in HWiNFO

As per the cord issue, that was because my mom using my brother's huge monitor that went and having to switch to my extra 19" monitor meant different cord. I did not give her mine but ended up switching things around as she could no longer use HDMI with the 19" monitor she is currently using.

After going big, going back to 19" sucks and I myself have been feeling like this 19" is too small for website screen space as well as in games especially with how bad my eyesight has become! I need everything bigger but that means less room for the UI in games..  👀  19" is just too small for my aging eyes guys! 😢

Spoiler (hover to show)

My main components:

CPU:  Intel Core i7-2600
    Motherboard:
  • Motherboard Model:  ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM
  • Motherboard Chipset: Intel H61 (Cougar Point)
  • Motherboard Slots:  1xPCI, 6xPCI Express x1, 1xPCI Express x16
  • PCI Express Version Supported: v2.0
  • USB Version Supported:  v2.0
    RAM: 8 GBytes DDR3 SDRAM KHX1600C10D3/8GX (1 stick possibly not seated properly)
    HDD/SSD:
  • Seagate ST4000DM004-2CV104 Main drive 4Tb
  • Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 2Tb
  • Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
  • Hitachi HDS723020BLE640 2Tb
    PSU:  Cooler Master GX 750W
    GPU:  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (Video Chipset Codename: GK104-225)
    Computer Tower/Case: Apevia X-Hermes-BL
    Computer Monitor: 19" ASUS VE198 19" 5ms LED BackLight LCD Monitor, 1 DVI-D port & 1 VGA (D-Sub) port. HD-type NOT supported.
    Optical Drive CD/DVD: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24LS50
    Backup External Power: APC Back-UPS ES 750 FW:841.I3 .D USB FW:I3  13.670 V (3B0930X09539)

Photos: (Besides the stats attached)

Case: Apevia X-HERMES-BL ATX Mid Tower PC Gaming Case with 5 Fans, Large Blue Tinted Side Window, Front USB2.0/USB3.0/Audio Ports, Hard Drive Hot-Swap Bay - Black/Blue

Monitor:

PSU:

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2022, 02:58:21 am »
Since oneeyed is getting you a 8th gen intel board, ask him to make sure that the UEFI BIOS is fully updated.  Because that will give us the option of running a graphics card that has resizable bar.  Or rebar for short.  It would appear that 8th gen intel and up can support rebar.  As well as ryzen 3rd gen and up for AMD.

Rebar essentially lets the main system processor access all of your video cards memory, all at once.  With how video card memory allotment and speed is constantly increasing, rebar will provide far superior performance for demanding applications.  Where without rebar support, the system can only access the video cards memory in 256 Mb chunks.  And with how video cards are coming with 8 Gb of vram or more and much higher speeds these days, something had to change.

Just adding proof that 8th and 9th gen intel can run rebar.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 10:58:34 pm by Sandman[SA] »

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
Re: Windows 11. Can KT's PC handle it??
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2022, 03:52:16 am »
Since oneeyed is getting you a 8th gen intel board, ask him to make sure that the UEFI BIOS is fully updated.  Because that will give us the option of running a graphics card that has resizable bar.  Or rebar for short.  It would appear that 8th gen intel and up can support rebar.  As well as ryzen 3rd gen and up for AMD.

Rebar essentially lets the main system processor access all of your video cards memory, all at once.  With how video card memory allotment and speed is constantly increasing, rebar will provide far superior performance for demanding applications.  Where without rebar support, the system can only access the video cards memory in 256 Mb chunks.  And with how video cards are coming with 8 Gb of vram or more and much higher speeds these days, something had to change.

Okay I am sure he will see this post but Dave is pretty good at keeping BIOS updated. He is pretty particular about certain things. Also should you not be in bed already? You work in the morning and it is 3am. But I do appreciate that you took the time to reply despite how tired you must be. Thank you.

I am still awake because my sleep is all messed up at the moment but I am now looking for my desk and cannot find it online.

My desk, if you remember, is a type that is somewhere between these 2 images:

It has that side where the case sits (not enclosed, no door) and under that 2 drawers but above where the case sits is where the printer sits.  The keyboard drawer was like that but while I was on dialysis and with my Sleep Apnea being so bad at that time I fell into the drawer two times that I got out of bed and fell back to sleep right away standing up and now have a screw on one that is not as wide. The length of my desk surface area is more like the 2nd image with a hutch.

The part where the other image has to do with my desk is the hutch. This is the closest pic I could find to what mine looks like even though not perfect. The shelves in my hutch are adjustable and can even be taken out but the hutch itself does not separate from the desk. Or does it..?? Jeff you remember when you built my desk (I still have the photo lol). The hutch did come separately didn't it? Maybe we should just take it off? It would then look a LOT more like the first image only and I could even place the case on TOP of the desk.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Spoiler (hover to show)

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2022, 05:26:37 am »
I have changed the thread name from Here comes Windows 11!? to Windows 11. Can KT's PC handle it??

REASON: To make it easier to find this thread in the future and after the first couple posts the thread has turned into how to get my PC Win11 ready before 2025 (the End of Win10 support) so it just made sense.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2022, 09:31:51 am »
I read that I CAN reuse my Win10 LICENSE (I do not have a Key for WIN 10 Pro as I upgraded from Win 7 Pro online when MS offered it free during when they said free was for a limited time) for the new install but we will have to see when the time comes to it if that works out. Researching though it looks like it should, especially since my acct is linked to my MS acct.

Is Your Windows Product Key Transferrable?

When it comes to transferability, there are two types of Windows key:

• OEM keys: Not supposed to be transferable. These are the keys that manufacturers use to install Windows on any prebuilt PC. They are also the keys you get at discount key vendors such as Kinguin. You can always try, however.

• Retail (aka "Full Packaged Product") keys: transferrable. These keys are usually the expensive ones people pay more than $100 for. But it's always possible your computer had one (from a prior upgrade)  you don't know it.

If you don't know which type of Windows product key you have, you can find out when you unearth the key itself.

I do not have a Windows 10 Pro KEY per say but a License connected to my Microsoft acct. So this information is very important:

If your key is transferrable and you want to transfer it, you now need to know whether you have a "digital license" or a regular one. With a regular license, you can transfer the product key from one computer to another by deactivating it on the old PC before entering it on the new one.

However, if you have a digital license, that means that the number is tied to your Microsoft account and, in order to transfer it, you need to follow a different procedure which involves deactivating the old PC via your Microsoft account's settings menu.

So here are the steps I must take: https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/transfer-windows-license-to-new-pc

Spoiler (hover to show)

Posts I got my info from:

Also when I did upgrade to Windows 10 it did ask me what I want my Microsoft email to be (they suggest outlook but I already had a hotmail from WAY back). This thread reminded me of that: Reset will lose my pro upgrade

Adding more info to this same post as I noticed the thread is mainly talking about what to upgrade my computer with. So posting more about installing Windows 10 or 11 seems to not be needed but I wanted to not lose the info so just adding to here to this previous post as an edit. ;)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/find-your-windows-product-key-aaa2bf69-7b2b-9f13-f581-a806abf0a886

For more Windows 11 download info, see Download Windows 11.

For more Windows 10 download info, see Download Windows 10.

If you need installation media to install or reinstall  Windows, see Create installation media for Windows to learn how to create your own installation media using either a USB flash drive or a DVD.

If you need more help with activation, see Activate Windows.

If you're getting an activation error, see Get help with Windows activation errors.

If you’re reinstalling Windows, you might not need a Windows product key. See Activation in Windows for more info.

If you're reinstalling Windows 10 or Windows 11 due to a changing motherboard or other hardware, see Reactivating Windows after a hardware change.

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 106.0 Firefox 106.0
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2022, 04:04:29 pm »

Rebar is probably the last issue she has to worry about right now, only a couple of games it might make a measurable change in FPS on (depending on your hardware combination)and can on some games make FPS worse. It seems at the moment, just to be one of those things you see if it ends up liking your hardware and in which games. Not a turn it on and forget it, free FPS- type of solution.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2022, 12:38:14 am »
I don't know if you've noticed, but every modern video card on the market today boasting pcie gen 4 support, also has rebar support?  If I am going to help her get a better graphics card, it's going to be a new one that can play her favorite games comfortably and reliably for years to come.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2022, 10:55:38 pm »
I have changed the thread name from Here comes Windows 11!? to Windows 11. Can KT's PC handle it??

Your current 2nd gen intel system can not run windows 11.  At least, not normally.  You would essentially be running a "trial version" in a sense if you tried some hacks to install it today.  The 8th gen intel system you should be getting CAN run win 11.  But you would have to enable the built-in TPM in the uefi.  It's disabled by default.  And I think secure boot needs to be enabled too.  Not 100% sure on that.

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 107.0 Firefox 107.0
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2022, 05:03:34 pm »
I don't know if you've noticed, but every modern video card on the market today boasting pcie gen 4 support, also has rebar support?  If I am going to help her get a better graphics card, it's going to be a new one that can play her favorite games comfortably and reliably for years to come.

Related maybe black Friday sales?
https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Speedster-Radeon-Graphics-RX-66XL8LFDQ/dp/B09HHLX543/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Computer+Graphics+Cards+rx&qid=1668638107&refinements=p_n_feature_browse-bin%3A23883927011%2Cp_n_feature_twenty_browse-bin%3A23572110011&rnid=23572106011&s=pc&sr=1-4

Or could wait till thanksgiving.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 05:47:28 pm by One Eyed Wonderweasle »

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 111.0 Firefox 111.0
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2023, 02:13:50 pm »
 I might be starting her upgrade to 8th gen intel platform today. sounds like her vid card died, but she hasn't had it turned on since. gonna throw another vid card in, see if she can backup enough for a clean install, in case. Then hopefully bring it to my place to switch almost every thing out and clean and make sure all the cooling is still working.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2023, 02:18:13 pm »
At least with an 8th gen Intel, it has an IGPU.  So even if the dedicated GPU was to fail, she should be able to keep working.  Just don't expect it to play games.  I tried playing Overwatch on mine.  A esports game that people say can run on a potato.  It was able to launch the game and play on the absolute lowest settings.  But the best it could muster was 15 to 20 FPS?

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 111.0 Firefox 111.0
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2023, 06:19:01 pm »
 I Replaced her 760 with another for now. she has stuff on her c drive that needs backing up.but I won't be seeing her computer till after easter.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2023, 09:27:04 pm »
I Replaced her 760 with another for now.

With what?  Another 760?

she has stuff on her c drive that needs backing up.

Yeah.  I know that she can be a bit of a data hoarder.  So no surprise that may take a while.

Server Admins  |  General Category  |  Geek / Games Discussion  |  Windows 11 - Do we want it or can we even handle it?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.6 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Copyright © 2000-2024 Server Admins All Rights Reserved.
Page created in 0.303 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx