gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
2976 Posts in 217 Topics by 29 Members - Latest Member: Frosty[SA] March 28, 2024, 01:25:48 pm
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Calendar | Login | Register | Site | gfx
gfx
Server Admins  |  General Category  |  Geek / Games Discussion  |  Windows 10 available for FREE from Microsoft for a LIMITED time?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Windows 10 available for FREE from Microsoft for a LIMITED time?  (Read 4852 times)

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 38.0 Firefox 38.0
My Windows 7 alerted me that Windows 10 is available for FREE upgrade for a limited time.

Yes it is actually from Microsoft. Here are the details:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq?ocid=win10_auxapp_context

Is the upgrade really free?

Yes, it’s free. This is a full version of Windows, not a trial or introductory version. It is available for a limited time:  you have one year from the time Windows 10 is available to take advantage of this offer.

How do I get my free upgrade?

You can do one of two things*:

a) Buy a new Windows 8.1 device and upgrade it to Windows 10 for free, or

b) Reserve a free upgrade for your existing Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 PC

Not every device will run every feature of Windows 10. Be sure to check with your manufacturer before purchasing. Additional details on upgrade qualifications are below.

What happens when I reserve?

When you reserve, you can confirm your device is compatible with Windows 10. Between reservation and when your upgrade is ready, the files you need for the upgrade will be downloaded to your PC to make the final installation go more quickly. Then, when your upgrade is ready after July 29, 2015, you get a notification that lets you get started with your upgrade.

Are there any qualification requirements?

The only requirements are that a) your device is compatible, and b) you’re running genuine Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Windows 8.1 (Update).

Windows 10 is designed to run on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PCs. That means your device is likely compatible and will run Windows 10.*

See the full specifications here. (* I corrected the link as MS screwed up their html on their site)

Will Windows Media Center be available in Windows 10?

Windows Media Center is not part of Windows 10 and won’t be available after upgrading to Windows 10. If you use Windows Media Center, we will alert you during upgrade that Windows Media Center is not available on Windows 10. We know that some users use Windows Media Center to play DVDs, and we are providing a free DVD playback app in Windows 10 for Windows Media Center users.

Will all my stuff be in the cloud?

Your files are saved on the hard drive of your device by default. Windows 10 includes OneDrive which provides free storage space in the cloud; this is completely optional, but gives you the benefit of being able to access your personal files from anywhere.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 11.0 MS Internet Explorer 11.0
    • The Server Admins
Re: Windows 10 available for FREE from Microsoft for a LIMITED time?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 08:32:28 pm »
Yeah, I saw that too.  I was thinking about reserving it but I would like to make sure that everything on my system will run in 10.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 08:35:50 pm »
Yeah, I saw that too.  I was thinking about reserving it but I would like to make sure that everything on my system will run in 10.

Ya me as well but I reserved it anyway since it said you have a year .. well I am not exactly sure I am reading this correctly:

Yes, it’s free. This is a full version of Windows, not a trial or introductory version. It is available for a limited time:  you have one year from the time Windows 10 is available to take advantage of this offer.

Does that mean it has to be installed by a year or you just have to download it by then? I assume the CD key is tied to the download of Windows 10 you grab and not to when you "activate" the install. If you must "activate" it within that time span then .. hmmm... I can't just "hold onto it" til I have more RAM...

Do you know? Does it say anywhere? That specifically I did NOT see. Maybe I should contact Microsoft? After all Kodiac had talked to them before so it can't be that hard to get an answer right??

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 12:14:40 am »
Also here is a tip on how you can turn it into a Windows 10 iso image for burning:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-turn-your-windows-10-upgrade-into-an-iso/

By Ed Bott for The Ed Bott Report | June 5, 2015 -- 16:32 GMT (09:32 PDT) | Topic: Windows 10

Microsoft wants you to have a free Windows 10 upgrade, and they really want you to use Windows Update to get it over the Internet. If you have a PC that qualifies for the upgrade, you should do this if possible. It really is the best, fastest, cleanest option for the vast majority of Windows PCs.

But a lot of my readers want traditional installer files, either on a DVD or in an ISO image file that is the equivalent of a DVD. If you are old school, you want an ISO because installing Windows on bare metal is just what one does, period.

I get that, I really do.

Having that installer image available gives you access to some installation and repair options that you don't have otherwise, such as the option to create bootable media. That's mandatory if you want to set up a dual-boot installation, for example.

For the Insider Preview, Microsoft makes an ISO available for download with every Slow ring release. But Fast ring updates are delivered only via Windows Update, and at this point we don't know whether or how Microsoft will make ISO copies of the final Windows 10 release available for download.

I know long-time Windows users have wake-up-in-a-cold-sweat nightmares about Windows upgrades gone horribly wrong. But those days are long gone. I have done hundreds of clean installs and upgrades, on physical and virtual machines, using the Windows 8.1/10 installer family.

The staged installer used with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 is as close to failsafe as software gets. If something goes wrong, you can roll back easily. (I've done those rollbacks a lot during this beta.)

After the upgrade is complete, you can create an ISO file from the cached upgrade files.

Or you can start the upgrade, wait until the installer files are fully downloaded, and then cancel. In either case, you'll find the large installer file stashed in a hidden folder called C:\$Windows.~BT, in a subfolder called Sources.

Here's how to find it in File Explorer. (Note that I've enabled the option to view hidden files.)

This file, Install.esd, is saved using a compressed format introduced with Windows 8.1 and specifically designed for electronic software distribution (thus the .ESD file extension).

If you're an IT pro responsible for deploying Windows in your organization, you can use the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) to decompress and decrypt that image, turning it into an ISO file using Microsoft-approved tools. A blog post by Microsoft MVP Johan Arwidmark contains detailed instructions on this technique.

If you don't want to install the full deployment toolkit, here's a faster way to build that ISO using the same tools, packaged by community members for this specific purpose.

Step 1: Download the ESD-Decrypter files. There's a download link in this post on the Microsoft Answers forum, although you can also find the files elsewhere. Note that this file is saved in 7z format, so you will need a third-party decompression utility such as 7-Zip to extract it.

Step 2: Extract the ESD-Decrypter files to their own folder and then copy the Install.esd file to the same folder.

Step 3: Right-click the Decrypt command file and choose Run As Administrator. (It's a batch file, so you can see exactly what it's going to do.)

Step 4: Choose the first option in this menu and press Enter.

The command file displays the status of current operations as it works. After a few minutes (the exact time depends on your hardware), you end with an ISO file in the same folder as the ESD.

You can now create bootable media from that ISO file. You can also attach it to a virtual machine to install Windows 10 in a VM. You can double-click to mount it in File Explorer in Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 and run Setup directly from within Windows.

Note that because this is using preview versions, you shouldn't need product keys for installation. That will probably change for the final release, of course.

In the next installment of this series, I will go into more detail about the range of installation options you have, with or without this ISO file.

More:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/instructions-create-a-bootable-iso-file-using-esd/d2768b51-221a-436e-af4e-d3b9118a8864?page=1&tm=1433519642487

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 11:15:01 pm »
I wonder if this preview edition will expire in time or possibly put restrictions on it until you purchase a license?

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 12:28:59 pm »
I wonder if this preview edition will expire in time or possibly put restrictions on it until you purchase a license?

This Windows 10 is just a preview edition?

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 08:13:29 pm »

It seems to imply it.  I don't know for sure though.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 39.0 Firefox 39.0
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 11:26:41 pm »

It seems to imply it.  I don't know for sure though.

Hmm.. never thought of that but ya know .. wouldn't put it past MicroSoft to do something underhanded like that ...

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 12:18:34 am »
Hmm.. never thought of that but ya know .. wouldn't put it past MicroSoft to do something underhanded like that ...

They have done this before with an evaluation edition that only last 180 days.  Windows 7 Ultimate was the last example that I am aware of.

Offline Raphael Solo

• The Crazy One
  • SASenior
  • Beware the monkies, for they fling the poo of DOOM
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 07:41:40 pm »
It says on it free full Windows 10 Home non trial. I would screen shot it and post it... but to be honest I have no clue how.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 08:25:40 pm »
It says on it free full Windows 10 Home non trial. I would screen shot it and post it... but to be honest I have no clue how.

I know it says that right off the bat.  But as you read through everything, there seems to be some slightly conflicting and unclear information on it.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2015, 11:05:38 pm »

I checked and this is what the fine print says in the email:

Windows Offer Details

Yes, free! This upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10, not a trial. 3GB download required; standard data rates apply. To take advantage of this free offer, you must upgrade to Windows 10 within one year of availability. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own. Some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device and market. The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer. To check for compatibility and other important installation information, visit your device manufacturer’s website and the Windows 10 Specifications page. Additional requirements may apply over time for updates. Security and features are kept automatically up-to-date which is always enabled.

*Not available in all markets.

Microsoft respects your privacy. Please read our online Privacy Statement.    

Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052 USA

Notice this part:

To take advantage of this free offer, you must upgrade to Windows 10 within one year of availability. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

So the techs that thought they could just install it on a CD .. it won't be valid .. it is Windows 10 which is tied to the device it is installed on. I kinda figured they would pull that crap as that is what they wanted to do in Windows 8 (or did they do that??). They started doing that in 8 because of people ripping the Windows CD's and installing them on computers instead of paying for a Windows CD of their own.

Well I don't want it on this computer .. but I want to have it anyway for when I have a better computer one day. Damn MicroSoft and their ways..

The good thing is I do actually have a full valid copy of Windows 7 if I decided to hate Windows 10. But it generally is a bad idea to go for a Windows version on release as they are usually FULL of bugs and security holes up the wazzooooo!!!

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 11:26:19 pm »
I did some more searching. We can get an install of a preview version if we want:

http://www.ethicalhackx.com/download-windows-10-insider-preview-iso-build-10074/

And yes Jeff the links are safe. They are hosted on Microsoft themselves.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2015, 11:42:21 pm »
What about dual booting? I am thinking about my mom's Android Tablet as she is familiar with Windows (well XP and 7 only) but she also likes her apps I got her from Google Apps on her Android Tablet that her brother got her for her birthday. What are your thoughts Sandman?

Also sorry for the multi-posts but .. well .. I won't be on for a few days and really this is a separate question :P

Server Admins  |  General Category  |  Geek / Games Discussion  |  Windows 10 available for FREE from Microsoft for a LIMITED time?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.6 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Copyright © 2000-2024 Server Admins All Rights Reserved.
Page created in 4.128 seconds with 19 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx