gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
2976 Posts in 217 Topics by 29 Members - Latest Member: Frosty[SA] March 28, 2024, 03:27:46 pm
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Calendar | Login | Register | Site | gfx
gfx
Server Admins  |  General Category  |  Geek / Games Discussion  |  Mom's PC WIFI
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mom's PC WIFI  (Read 3623 times)

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 84.0.4147.38 Chrome 84.0.4147.38
Mom's PC WIFI
« on: June 10, 2020, 10:31:57 pm »
Last night my mom's net went out. I came over today as she shut it down and the net was still not working even though the cable modem was all flashing like it should be. Got the net working (somehow .. not sure what I did other than change the ethernet cable) but wifi still not working (2.4 G and 5G lights NOT flashing on cable modem).

So my mom is playing offline solitaire on her Tablet that her brother gave her a few years back for her birthday and I am on here to ask for advice but too tired to really go into much. So ask me something.

NOT related but noticed while typing this:
is it okay that your site is Not Secure in this browser? :P  - attached the screenshot of the Not Secure in red and more 7DtD images attached. What is going on? Besides the one image I wanted to attach .. these others attached by themselves:

Alpha_15_2016-10-11_23-23-38.jpg
 Alpha_15_2016-10-12_20-48-02.jpg
 Alpha_15_2016-10-12_20-48-03.jpg
 Alpha_15_2016-10-12_22-25-11.jpg
 Alpha_15_2016-10-12_23-57-55.jpg

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Internet Explorer 11 Internet Explorer 11
    • The Server Admins
Re: Mom's PC
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 09:43:14 pm »
That is odd.  Have you tried power cycling the router?  You didn't mention if you did that or not.

As for the non related question, I noticed that as well the past few nights.  I don't know what's causing it and I am also having a issue with abyss web server not finding the assigned port during bootup.  Maybe the 2 problems are related?

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 76.0 Firefox 76.0
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 05:24:44 pm »
That is odd.  Have you tried power cycling the router?  You didn't mention if you did that or not.

As for the non related question, I noticed that as well the past few nights.  I don't know what's causing it and I am also having a issue with abyss web server not finding the assigned port during bootup.  Maybe the 2 problems are related?

Ya I rebooted and I also changed out the ethernet cord twice (with a new one and back again).

(Well, just got back from dialysis so going to rest up)

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 01:44:23 am »
Ok.  You say that you got the network working again after you replaced a ethernet cable, correct?  So I assume that your talking about the cable from the modem to the router?  And I also assume that there is at least one computer connected directly to the router, and it has internet access?  So what exactly is happening with the wifi?  Is there a wifi signal?  Can you login to your wifi access point?  I would need much more detail to be able to understand.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 76.0 Firefox 76.0
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 10:02:05 am »
Ok.  You say that you got the network working again after you replaced an ethernet cable, correct?  So I assume that you're talking about the cable from the modem to the router?  And I also assume that there is at least one computer connected directly to the router, and it has internet access?  So what exactly is happening with the wifi?  Is there a wifi signal?  Can you login to your wifi access point?  I would need much more detail to be able to understand.
This Cable modem is also a router? Anyway, the ethernet cable went straight from there to the PC case. When I first put it in NO it did not work. I left it and gave up after calling Dave. When I went over there again yesterday to pick up milk it was magically working again. Dave thinks corrosion given that the humidity is extremely high at my mom's and the HDD had corrosion in it as it is.

The wifi works as the Cable box is working fine.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 04:28:11 pm »
This Cable modem is also a router? Anyway, the ethernet cable went straight from there to the PC case.

Oh?  Oh!  Sorry.  I sometimes forget that some people still use the simple wifi solution.

When I first put it in NO it did not work. I left it and gave up after calling Dave. When I went over there again yesterday to pick up milk it was magically working again. Dave thinks corrosion given that the humidity is extremely high at my mom's and the HDD had corrosion in it as it is.

Extremely high humidity you say?  As in you can see a fog inside the apartment or condensation is collecting on surfaces like morning dew on a cars windshield?  Might be worth getting a decent de-humidifier.  Or maybe a couple of them since your reporting corrosion happening to delicate electronic devices.  Water and dust are electronics worst enemies.

Offline One Eyed Wonderweasle

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 70.0.3538.102 Chrome 70.0.3538.102
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 10:11:14 pm »
 By humidity her mom lives across the street from the Detroit river. At least twice the hard drive in that computer has crashed (corruption) where the main problem was oxidization of the connections. clean the connections, do a disk check  to correct errors, working again. my guess is the contacts in the ethernet port are getting oxidized also. Last I talked to KT, the wireless was fine nothing thru ethernet though. gonna try a USB wireless for now if I can't clean the ethernet jack.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 09:09:45 pm »
By humidity her mom lives across the street from the Detroit river.

Thanks oneeyed.  I was aware of that.  I'm also aware that she lives several stories above ground level.

At least twice the hard drive in that computer has crashed (corruption) where the main problem was oxidization of the connections. clean the connections, do a disk check  to correct errors, working again. my guess is the contacts in the ethernet port are getting oxidized also.

Now this leads to high concern for her moms health and well being.  Having that extreme level of humidity in her place of residence, humidity so high that it can corrode and/or damage electronic components, is also high enough to promote dangerous mold growth.  Thus why I pushed the thought of a de-humidifier.  Or better yet, several of them!

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Microsoft Edge Microsoft Edge
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 06:23:06 am »
Extremely high humidity you say?  As in you can see a fog inside the apartment or condensation is collecting on surfaces like morning dew on a cars windshield?  Might be worth getting a decent de-humidifier.  Or maybe a couple of them since your reporting corrosion happening to delicate electronic devices.  Water and dust are electronics worst enemies.

No room in my mom's apartment. It is not like a house like you own or Dave owns. :( But yes condensation is a normal thing to see on my mom's sliding door to her balcony. Even have a rust line at one point of the door because of it.

Now this leads to high concern for her moms health and well being.  Having that extreme level of humidity in her place of residence, humidity so high that it can corrode and/or damage electronic components, is also high enough to promote dangerous mold growth.  Thus why I pushed the thought of a de-humidifier.  Or better yet, several of them!

I worry too since the water heater in a higher floor leaked and I know there HAS to be mold building in the carpet as well as what we do see in the bathroom (that the landlord denies).

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 06:09:00 pm »
the water heater in a higher floor leaked

Ahh!  Now that makes more sense.  Living near a river could cause higher then normal humidity levels, I'm not denying that.   But not to the extreme levels like your talking about.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 79.0 Firefox 79.0
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 09:21:50 pm »
Dave gave me a TP-LINK 150 Mbps TL-WN727N

but my mom didn't have a lot of USB open and I didn't want to use the front ones as my mom gets confused if too many things are in her view and we already use the front ports for her headphones and usb would make it hard to see those ports for her.  So today we got her a powered USB 7 port extention and plugged the TP-LINK into it. Seems it is working but I didn't know because I didn't have to do anything since the net and wifi are already set up. I was going to follow this but guess I don't have to:

Am I right Dave? I don't even need to grab anything from https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/tl-wn727n/ ?

Now when I click the net icon by the clock it shows all the wifi connections. She knows which one is hers. Thanks. Next time her net won't connect but her wifi is still on I will tel her just to click that (she is napping right now so I know that it will have to be next time I show her how).

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 11:25:11 pm »
Well, that should work in a pinch if you need a wifi connection and your computer doesn't normally support it.

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2020, 07:29:26 pm »
 Shouldn't need any software but might want to mark (with tape or something)  the port on the USB hub that the WIFI stick is plugged into. (Unless they have changed this in win 10) USB printers and (USB) WIFI devices are linked to the port they are plugged into. if you plug it into another port it treats it like another device (as in default settings, no passwords remembered). Also the hub has to stay in the same port on the computer.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 11:44:57 pm »
The device mapping over USB ports has improved with USB 3.0 and up, but that's still a thing with USB 2.0.  Unless your using a USB hub.  Then your technically still using the same port.

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 04:30:48 pm »
 Her mom's computer is pre USB 3, and so are most of those devices. Problem is when you hook the USB WIFI adapter into another port it treats it like you just inserted another device, unless you put it back in the same port.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 04:37:03 pm by One Eyed Wonderweasle »

Server Admins  |  General Category  |  Geek / Games Discussion  |  Mom's PC WIFI

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.6 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Copyright © 2000-2024 Server Admins All Rights Reserved.
Page created in 2.356 seconds with 19 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx