gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
2976 Posts in 217 Topics by 29 Members - Latest Member: Frosty[SA] March 28, 2024, 05:47:08 am
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Calendar | Login | Register | Site | gfx
gfx
Server Admins  |  General Category  |  Geek / Games Discussion  |  Windows 10 update looks like bad news for PC gamers
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Windows 10 update looks like bad news for PC gamers  (Read 1429 times)

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Opera 99.0.0.0 Opera 99.0.0.0
Windows 10 update looks like bad news for PC gamers
« on: July 19, 2023, 07:42:32 am »
Windows 10 update looks like bad news for PC gamers

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/technology/windows-10-update-looks-like-bad-news-for-pc-gamers/ar-AA1e3Ist

Windows 10’s most recent update has been giving some PC gamers a headache, brining lag to their gaming sessions – and causing other performance issues besides.

Windows Latest picked up on feedback posted on the official Reddit thread introducing the July cumulative update for Windows 10 (patch KB5028166).

One Redditor said: “Did somebody experience after updating, game and apps became laggy?”

A bunch of replies in the affirmative then ensued, along the lines of: “Yes! I can’t do anything, it takes forever. Everything is slow.”

Another user notes: “I’ve had a few games becoming laggy and freezing at points since updating.”

A further user on Reddit observes: “The last update has given my W10 PC a bad case of constipation; Chrome and other apps take a minute or two to open, webpages often delay opening or display a ‘page is not responding’ message. I’ve not uninstalled the last update in the hope MS releases a new update soon that sorts all this out, as it doesn’t seem to be an uncommon problem.”

It doesn’t seem to be uncommon indeed, with another Redditor posting to confirm: “Had to uninstall this update, caused an ungodly amount of stuttering afterwards. Reformatted the PC, tested before and after this update after so I know this is definitely the cause of the stutter. Clearly I am not the only one and would highly recommend avoiding/uninstalling this update.”

As well as these issues for gamers and general performance slowdown, there are complaints on the same Reddit thread about KB5028166 taking ages to install.

One tech support person (presumably) notes: “On all my clients’ computers, this update takes forever after restart and there’s nothing you can do. Everyone has been calling since morning because they can’t work on their computers.”

A reply to that says the update went on for ‘many hours’ and the user ended up restarting their PC to get out of it (not advisable, really, though sometimes you may feel left with little choice after waiting for ages for an update to finish) – only to encounter the same problem again. Nasty.

Analysis: Not the first time, and likely not the last
Unfortunately, we’ve not heard anything official from Microsoft about how KB5028166 might be causing issues for gamers (indeed, we haven’t seen any official confirmation that there’s a problem at all). Clearly, though, there are a bunch of unhappy folks out there, so hopefully the software giant is investigating. Even the best PC games aren’t so great when frame rates are stuttering like crazy.

This wouldn’t be the first time a cumulative update for Windows 10 (or Windows 11) has seemingly thrown a spanner in the works for games, or has slowed down apps in general. This kind of apparently random lag attack has happened over and over throughout the years, so it’s not exactly a surprise to see this as a (potential) side-effect of KB5028166. The sad truth is that vague problems like this can be difficult to pin down, and sometimes remain ongoing issues for a while.

All we can do is keep our fingers crossed that Microsoft looks into this, and how to cure the affected PCs, and does so quickly. Or at least gives us some indication of what’s going on here. Meanwhile, you can’t really avoid the update on Windows 10 Home – only for a limited time – so you’re going to have to install it soon (besides, there are important security fixes in the patch).

Offline One Eyed Wonderweasle

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 115.0 Firefox 115.0
Re: Windows 10 update looks like bad news for PC gamers
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2023, 02:20:37 pm »
I wonder when I installed that update. I've been having a software prob for months, that I haven't been able to pin down.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Microsoft Edge Microsoft Edge
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2023, 10:46:32 pm »
I've noticed a few little things gaming wise.  Studder and slow loading in a couple of games.  OW2 studders hard when first getting into a game.  But it smooths out after a minute or 2.  7D2D use to lag like mad.  But since the update to A21, the game play has stopped lagging.  Just menu items seem to respond slowly now.

But overall general performance of the computer in general has not been much of a problem.

Offline One Eyed Wonderweasle

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 118.0 Firefox 118.0
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 12:43:04 pm »

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2023, 09:18:59 pm »
That's actually expected honestly.  Good deals won't last forever.  And I'm pretty sure lots of people have been beating this horse long enough, using their old CD keys for 7 or 8 to upgrade to 10 or 11 for free.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Opera 102.0.0.0 Opera 102.0.0.0
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 05:25:06 am »
That's actually expected honestly.  Good deals won't last forever.  And I'm pretty sure lots of people have been beating this horse long enough, using their old CD keys for 7 or 8 to upgrade to 10 or 11 for free.

Wow just in time that I used the old Win 7 Pro CD key for my upgrade to Windows 10 on this gaming PC of mine huh?

At first I read this as no more Windows updates for Win 10 itself. Not as no more using old keys for updating to Win 10. Is this because MS wants everyone now to go straight to 11??

But 11 has its own issues I just read about on MSN (originally posted on TechRadar) titled
"Microsoft is ending support for Windows 11 update 21H2, here's what you need to do next" just yesterday.
I posted about this in the Windows 11 thread.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2023, 09:27:51 pm »
Of course, MS wants everyone to be on the same OS.  It's less work for them to support one OS at a time.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Opera 102.0.0.0 Opera 102.0.0.0
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2023, 06:41:17 pm »
Of course, MS wants everyone to be on the same OS.  It's less work for them to support one OS at a time.

True but people are tired of having to buy a new OS every 2 years. That is one of the reasons why people accepted Windows 10 believing it would be final and just free updates. 

Server Admins  |  General Category  |  Geek / Games Discussion  |  Windows 10 update looks like bad news for PC gamers

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.6 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Copyright © 2000-2024 Server Admins All Rights Reserved.
Page created in 5.533 seconds with 17 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx