gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
3037 Posts in 219 Topics by 30 Members - Latest Member: Kodiac April 27, 2024, 03:32:01 pm
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Calendar | Login | Register | Site | gfx
gfx
Server Admins  |  General Category  |  Geek / Games Discussion  |  Mom bought new (SMALL) computer! HELP me get it working for her?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mom bought new (SMALL) computer! HELP me get it working for her?  (Read 4075 times)

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Opera 102.0.0.0 Opera 102.0.0.0
Re: Mom bought new (SMALL) computer! HELP me get it working for her?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2023, 02:08:22 am »
This vid should tell you what we can and can't do with it. CPU looks soldered in but on the acer site it says it is upgrade able to win 11.

Oh, It does.  It's limited to a max of 8Gb of LDDR4 2400.  BGA stands for Ball Grid Array.  So, the CPU is in fact soldered on.  The PSU is external.  So, you will have to upgrade that if you want to use a under 75 watt low profile, single slot GPU.  All storage is SATA 6 compatible at least.  Including the M.2.  But it's not Nvme.  Only SATA.  Worst of all, it does not support TPM 2.0.  It can't run windows 11 officially.

She is not a power user like we are.

Power user or not, it's still a Fisher Price JR's first PC.  It's just E-waste really.  I think even Dave can agree with me on that.

One day maybe Dave will have a good computer for her but for now it is good enough. She needs simple.

Well, if she can appreciate it, then good for her.  But a MiniForum PC would make a much better option IMHO.

Well that is  a better deal, but my mom also wanted the DVD burner the one she bought has, so she has what she has and wanted the card reader that her old one does not have. It will have to do. She bought it spontaneously when she was still working, and now she is retired and no longer has the money. She was determined for a new PC thinking that meant no problems. I told her Dave could build her a better one but she wanted that.

Funny, I checked out the site link you posted and check out this review .. wow

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B08BJDFZRF/ref=acr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

Anyway I figure when I have the time I will move all her files on her old computer to her SSD and install that as slave into her new PC. Then organize it to make it easier for her as she has a hard time with embedded folders.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2023, 02:10:43 am »
This vid should tell you what we can and can't do with it. CPU looks soldered in but on the acer site it says it is upgrade able to win 11. The most accurate specs should be on the right hand side of the case when looking at the front of it. should list the hard drive type and size, if it doesn't say SSD or NVME or m.2 it isn't likely an SSD.

Yes, I had already posted it in this thread in fact. It doesn't say there the type of drive but I know it is an SSD as the manual it came with says so.

Okay, watching that now.

Hmm, interesting. The one he is reviewing, they have a 1T HDD and a 128G SSD in it?

Hers only came with a 1TB SSD.

I was very interested in that video as I have not physically looked inside it yet.

Thank you for that video Dave.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Microsoft Edge Microsoft Edge
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2023, 07:23:22 pm »

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B08BJDFZRF/ref=acr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

Is that the same PC that your mom bought?  The specs on that system look very different.  But still, a valid testament to Dell's quality and reputation these days.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2023, 05:54:47 pm »

Is that the same PC that your mom bought?  The specs on that system look very different.  But still, a valid testament to Dell's quality and reputation these days.

Oh turns out that is a review for a different one. Have you ever noticed how some reviews are for others yet on the same page as the one you are looking at? Sometimes happens. Confused me.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2023, 10:59:01 pm »
Yes.  I see it very often actually.  Usually for PC parts like HDD's, SSD's and mainboards.  Example, I'm reading the reviews of a particular SSD and most of the reviews are for another SSD of the same brand, but way different specs.

But the link you posted was for a completely different PC altogether.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2023, 05:19:42 am »
Yes.  I see it very often actually.  Usually for PC parts like HDD's, SSD's and mainboards.  Example, I'm reading the reviews of a particular SSD and most of the reviews are for another SSD of the same brand, but way different specs.

But the link you posted was for a completely different PC altogether.

Why do they do that? Just mistakes or searching for reference too fast?

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2023, 09:23:43 pm »

In your case, I suspect that the intended link was discontinued or changed.  And the servers search algorithm failed to find the correct match. 

Others like NewEgg for instance, list several different capacities of particular branded drives or several different models of mainboard from the same brand in one link.

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2023, 06:42:42 pm »

In your case, I suspect that the intended link was discontinued or changed.  And the servers search algorithm failed to find the correct match. 

Others like NewEgg for instance, list several different capacities of particular branded drives or several different models of mainboard from the same brand in one link.

That is annoying. And confusing. :(

Offline One Eyed Wonderweasle

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 118.0 Firefox 118.0
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2023, 11:46:30 pm »
just so you know the manual saying it comes with an SSD doesn't mean it does. if it is just listed as a 1tb hard drive on the case that is all it has. if it has a SSD it lists it as so.
 If the model with that hardware is no longer for sale at that chain of stores, a lot of times the reviews are not kept either.but I'm pretty sure that has a win 11 free upgrade.   

Offline KT 💣 KλBoƠM

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔 🤦🏽‍♀️ 💣 💥
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2023, 03:36:14 am »
just so you know the manual saying it comes with an SSD doesn't mean it does. if it is just listed as a 1tb hard drive on the case that is all it has. if it has a SSD it lists it as so.
 If the model with that hardware is no longer for sale at that chain of stores, a lot of times the reviews are not kept either.but I'm pretty sure that has a win 11 free upgrade.

All I know is what it says on the side of the case. I did look at the specs when I was on it last year ... but I forget everything by now. This week am really busy but perhaps next week ... then I can go over and take a look at her computer again.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2023, 06:09:50 pm »

Back when this system was assembled, SSD's of that compacity were still on the expensive side.  And this is an extreme budget build.  To save cost, I am almost certain that this system has an 1Tb HDD.  Now a 1Tb SSD can be had for well under $100 US.

It doesn't have TPM 2.0 support or secure boot features.  No chance it will be able to run windows 11.  Sorry.

Offline One Eyed Wonderweasle

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 119.0 Firefox 119.0
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2023, 06:31:24 am »
https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/15376-windows-11-compatibility

look on XC-830 it is listed as tested with windows 11

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2023, 01:15:47 am »
I've looked at images and the specs for that main board.  It doesn't have a TPM 1.4 or 2.0 header on the board or list that feature in the user manual.

Server Admins  |  General Category  |  Geek / Games Discussion  |  Mom bought new (SMALL) computer! HELP me get it working for her?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.6 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Copyright © 2000-2024 Server Admins All Rights Reserved.
Page created in 4.066 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx