gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
1860 Posts in 153 Topics by 25 Members - Latest Member: Shawn_KTs_Lil_Bro June 16, 2019, 03:54:10 am
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Calendar | Login | Register | Site | gfx
gfx
Server Admins  |  General Category  |  Geek / Games Discussion  |  Windows 10 tips and such
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Windows 10 tips and such  (Read 150 times)

Offline [IA] KT KaBo0M

• Security
  • Spam Fighter
  • 💔
  • Operating System:
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 62.0 Firefox 62.0
Windows 10 tips and such
« on: October 08, 2018, 02:11:46 pm »
Came across some Win 10 tips that made me think of you Jeff:

Dark Theme:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2875600/windows/windows-10-the-best-tips-tricks-and-tweaks.html#slide8

Avoiding inconvenient software update reboots:
https://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/20-common-windows-10-problems-and-how-to-solve-them-1300292

Finding Safe Mode:
https://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/20-common-windows-10-problems-and-how-to-solve-them-1300292

(no direct link I just realized .. they make you have to go through all of them to find the one .. so copy pasting that one here)

Safe Mode is just what you'd expect – a safe way of booting up a PC and running the system with no startup apps and only essential drivers, which should hopefully allow the computer to boot successfully when it won't otherwise due to some issue or other.

With Windows 10, to access Safe Mode, hold down the Shift key during boot-up (or select Restart from the desktop while holding down Shift).

Opening older Microsoft Office files

This issue is still an annoyance in Windows 10 (indeed, it affects all versions of Windows and Office). The fix, however, is relatively simple.

If you're getting a lot of 'file is corrupt and cannot be opened' or 'unable to start correctly' warnings, then open Command Prompt (again, by right clicking the Start menu) and type in:

icacls "%programfiles%\Microsoft Office 15" /grant *S-1-15-2-1:(OI)(CI)RX

That should fix your problem – if it doesn't, then try to find each corrupted file, right click, select Change and then Online Repair.

Backing up a Windows 10 PC

There's nothing worse than having disaster strike your computer and then realising you haven't properly backed up your precious data. Want to know how to do this easily? Fortunately, backing up is a simple task in Windows 10.

Indeed, Windows 10 has many of the same backup features that were present on Windows 7, accessed by going into Settings > Update & Security > Backup.

The options include adding another drive to backup to, or accessing a previous backup on another machine – you can restore from a backup you created using Windows 7, in fact.

OneDrive is also a quick and easy option for backing up files, providing an off-site alternative in case of fire or theft. You'll find OneDrive under File Explorer (which in turn is under the Start menu).

DESKTOP - Main Rig:   Passmark & Mobo  (Manual) &  my Speccy (Video card is Radeon HD 6970) & 8Gb DDR2 RAM
NETBOOK: PC: Acer Aspire ONE (D250 10.1")    //   CPU: Intel® Atom CPU N270  @ 1.60GHz   RAM: 2.0 GB DDR2
 Video Card: Intel® GMA 950 (256Mb)    OS: Windows 7 Starter 32-bit SP1
Say HI on KT`s ShoutBox! / Place a PIN on KT's Map! / KT KaBo0M Vid

Offline One Eyed Wonderweasle

• Sergeant
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Internet Explorer 11 Internet Explorer 11
Re: Windows 10 tips and such
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 03:21:37 pm »
 I thought this might be helpful under this subject too.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 06:33:24 pm »
Well, ever since windows 2k, I have always opted for the pro edition mainly because of the integrated terminal server app.  They call this remote desktop now.  Sure, you can install 3rd party versions of something very similar.  But I found it's much easier to use when it comes installed natively.

Offline One Eyed Wonderweasle

• Sergeant
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 06:45:41 pm »
 From what I've heard most people just use Team Viewer or something like that. I still prefer some (if somewhat limited) control of my windows updates though.

Offline Sandman[SA]

• Head Admin
  • Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • The Server Admins
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 10:29:13 pm »
Yeah.  Pro does give you some control of updates.

Server Admins  |  General Category  |  Geek / Games Discussion  |  Windows 10 tips and such

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.6 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Copyright © 2000-2019 Server Admins All Rights Reserved.
Page created in 0.145 seconds with 19 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx